Sign in to follow this  
FenrirWC

Cant decide to keep stock or modify

So Im kinda at a stand still with my S14a, bought her completely stock down to the cassette player and since then have only changed a few parts such as new head unit wider rims /tyres and other suspension parts. All has been great, grips the road without a worry and has been the best car I've driven.

however...

Im starting to think that a bit more power would be a good choice and while it is something I've been considering for a some time I'm also happy with how its at right now, even though stock power may not be much for some people, the car doesn't miss a beat and runs well yet the want for power is starting to nag me.

I was wondering if i could catch up with some other s14 (or even s15) owners who have modified their rides to ask a few questions, get some ideas and if possible ride shotgun to see just how much difference mods would actually make to the car. I know it might be a big ask for some and when i mean riding passenger i don't mean breaking any road laws in the process :) Just want to get an idea of what is possible with the car and if it is something i would like to pursue or if the stock standard car is a better suit for me.

Any advice, feedback or even some info on meets coming up would be great.

Cheers

Fenrir

you can do simple mods, like exhaust, intercooler, fuel pump then up the boost a little, will give a noticeable increase in power, but won't lose any driveability or reliability

I have gone the whole thing with my S14, built motor, big high mount turbo etc, I wouldn't do it again, def keep mods simple and enjoy the car

What have you done to the suspension? fine tuning this can make your car more enjoyable to drive

Thanks for the insight SSS and the power plans i have arent anything to crazy plan to keep turbo low mount and wont change that till it blows out. Plans were 3 inch turbo back exhaust, walbro fuel pump and tossing up on a bigger side mount or a fmic as i dont wanna go cutting holes in my car, am looking at GKtech no holes intercooler but from the pics ive seen i either cut out some of the reo bar or i can drop it down a bit to avoid that and in doing so it sticks out below the front bumper. That's the plan so far and that's probably where i would keep it for a while If i decide to pursue this i may even start a build thread.

As for suspension mods most control arms, poly bushes to go in when the rubber blocks are worn out (being a daily im trying to put off the polys,) HSD HR coilovers and looking into sway bars.

Rims and tyres are 17x8 +25 and running 225/45 all round, Alignment sits at

Front: sits 30-40 mm higher than rear 8kg springs, 10 damper setting

camber: -1.5

toe in: 0.5mm

caster 6.5/7

Rear: 6 kg springs 12 damper setting

Camber: -1.1

toe in: 2mm

Brads: Currently in southern tas but will be moving back north in a couple of months or so. even tho the highway here is nicer :)

Edited by FenrirWC

def look into sway bars, then maybe a good seat, sounds like you have the rest sorted, personally I wouldn't worry bout cutting anything to fit a front mount, not like these cars are rare and someone wouldn't buy yours because of that, each to their own though :)

maybe run a wider tyre to get some grip too

200s look good not all done up to much.. with a nice kit and few engine mods and they run like a dream good to catch up cars some point...

Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup: I think ill start a build thread and just keep going with some minor mods as mentioned above ^ Car has just clocked her 100,000km so bit of a milestone i might have to buy something to celebrate. O and dont expect to much from my build thread when i get it up and running being a uni student it may be a slow one lol

Ok back in northern tas ( launie to be precise ) would it be possible to catch up with any other s14s?

Edited by FenrirWC

Haha.....an it begins!!!

I can see it in 12 months time.......

What cams are the best, what injectors etc!!!

A pump, zorst, cooler and some boost will make a big difference mate.

Haha.....an it begins!!!

I can see it in 12 months time.......

What cams are the best, what injectors etc!!!

A pump, zorst, cooler and some boost will make a big difference mate.

yes let the madness begin :hypo:

and don't worry i don't intend to change to much just a turbo back exhaust, fmic, walbro and a boost controller of some sort (heading towards adjustable actuator over bleed valve but money will be the factor) that will be all power wise as I'm more of a handling freak.

ha ha i am not asking those questions Greens i found the search button and have been using it :o might ask a stupid question or 2 along the way but should be pretty good overall already learn't a fair bit lurking around the forums

Edited by FenrirWC

yeah probably was me driving around. finally put a catback on it and started a build thread (gonna be slow due to uni but gonna work my ass off over summer for some modding money). Overall happy with how the cars going. next step is to finish the exhaust off the decide if im gonna go intercooler/fuelpump and up the boost or continue with handling mods and buy sway bars and a strut brace.

Edited by FenrirWC