Sign in to follow this  
WPN-X7

NOOBS GUIDE TO SHIMMING NISSAN DIFFS (r200)

update on the pics yet?

got a couple of diffs to do in the next month or so. (i fly in/out for work these days, so i dont get much of a chance to play with cars atm)

when i do another, ill take snaps dude. my bad that im slack haha

ahhk cheers mate, im going to attempt shimming my diff on the weekend, ill see if i can grab some pics

just wanted some feed back from what people have used or know about

I going to remove the stock standard shimms and replace them with the 1.25mm shims on both side, the reason why im going the 1.25mm is that they have it in stock otherwise im gonna have to wait 3 weeks for the larger ones to come down from Japan and I don't really want to wait lol

Do you think the 1.25mm shim will be will be alright and it will lock the diff up nice and tight and make it like it was when it was like new or should I wait and get the larger size shims?

I don't really want it to be tight like a locker because I use my car as a daily and I hate it when the car is unusable

and im also getting new rear input shaft seals cause 1 of them is kinda ozzing oil out of it.

the part numbers for the 1.25mm shim is 38424-40f75 and the price i got from nissan today was $15.56 each

the part number for the seal was 38342p9000 and it was $28.25 each

cheers guys

Bribe Dan with beer.. then pics will be up :P

Think Gynnside needs his diff shimmed so pics may be made soon?

Bribe Dan with beer.. then pics will be up :P

Think Gynnside needs his diff shimmed so pics may be made soon?

been waiting to get home to do it. so yes ill be taking pics (finally) and updating this when i do haha

You can do mine dan.

We will take pics. I'll shout you that beer I mentioned a while back.

Did this today followed this guide it's pretty self explainitory and it works a treat now :)

How long did it take u bro? Was this the first time u have done it? I've taken my diff out a few times, just wondering how long to shim it?

first time takes about an hour.. hour and a half. just make sure you mark the shafts etc so you put them the right way in.

and doing glynnsides diff in a cpl weekends. we'll take some snaps and ill update it all FINALLY! haha

Should use his go pro and film it in 1st person hahaha

video how to's are so much more useful than a picture of a diff and someone saying, jam shim in here.

the first person gopro thing would be pretty funny yet useful

Yea was the first time I've ever done it, as WPN-X7 said about an hr and a half or so took me abit longer cause I did it by my self.

But is pretty straight forward everything you take off and out make sure it goes in the way it came out and you'll be done before you kno it

So I'm most of the way thru shimming my diff and got it all back to together only problem is I can't get the right hand side half shaft back in (it's the long one).. is there any tricks to getting them in.. one thing I realised tho is I didn't use the halfshafts to align the crown wheel and shit.. I forgot to.. and they do look lined up.

I don't wanna have to pull it apart again I've put Loctite on the bolts.

20121129_184637.jpg

funny thing is it might look like the splines are lined up when you look inside the diff centre but they might not be. you'll probably have to take the centre out again, loosen off crown wheel bolts and then slot axles back into the centre whilst out of the housing. what helped when we did a mates diff is to tap the axles and try to tap them at an angle that turns them at the same time to try and align the splines,

then do up crown wheel bolts, remove axles, chuck back in housing etc etc.

make sure axles are the right way around! we struggled for ages to get them back in and one was in while the other had about the same gap as yours and just wouldn't go in further, switched axles from one side to the other and all went together easy as.

yep. its not aligned right.

its gotta come back out and be aligned spot on.

ALWAYS mark it before you take it to bits! ive learnt it the hard way tooo many times.

Yeah I marked all the pieces but just lined it up by eye missed the part where u use the shafts.. :/

yeah you'll just have to take it out again, annoying but it's the only way.

I can probably give you a hand sometime anyway

Dan when you get back borrow Chris's gopro when you do his diff, strap it to your head and be done with it!

Dan when you get back borrow Chris's gopro when you do his diff, strap it to your head and be done with it!

Back in a week and a half. So I'll do chris's diff thenk

Fuaark. Took it all apart lined it up with the half shafts in 're did bolts put back in to the housing now it won't go again... this is some sort of joke lol.. hopefully try again in the morning cbf doing it again now..

Great read thanks , as I have a helical diff is it the same , I'm looking to tighten mine up my self as I would like to give it ago , I know you can't shim a helical but it must have them to be replaced etc and if replacing will this tighten the backlash , I can't find a straight answer on the net for this and if I can replace shims what ones do I get in size and should I replace the bearings while I'm at it .

Edited by mints15

So diff is shimmed now.. got everything back together, but seems like I've got a fair bit of backlash now.. anyone know what may have caused that.. don't think it was there before but it may have been less noticeable when it had oil in it will post a vid when I get a spare second.

So diff is shimmed now.. got everything back together, but seems like I've got a fair bit of backlash now.. anyone know what may have caused that.. don't think it was there before but it may have been less noticeable when it had oil in it will post a vid when I get a spare second.

The shims either side of the diff centre. Usually two big ones on each side and a smaller one on only one side. Pretty sure the two thicker ones are actually very slightly different thickness, you might have accidentally switched them, making the gap between pinion and crown wheel larger.

If its not crazy bad I'd probably just ignore it. you've probably had the diff centre in and out enough times lately. lol.

micklols on the money i reckon.

hence labelling/marking the crap out of everything when dissasembling.

also. doing glynsides diff this week. video to follow

Hi, just let me say that I have googled for hours on this and just want some possibly up to date opinions.

So I have my diff all pulled apart and it had 1 x 0.8 shim and 1 x 1.3 shim in it, after researching it seems to vary what people add from 0.8 - 1.6mm.

I am hoping to achieve a nice tight diff, without turning it into a "welded" locker, but obviously want a noticeable improvement.

I was thinking of putting a combination of shims in that add up to 1mm extra shim width, does this sound about right?

It is for a weekender/track car.

Thanks for any help.

Results vary due to health of the current viscous pack really.

Sign in to follow this