Sign in to follow this  
OMG20Q

Boost fluctuating?

Ok so recently my s15 has been boosting weird :S I still have standard side mount cooler and fuel pump. Only mods are 3" cat back exhaust and boost controller.

Now I used to boost about 12psi fine, now for the past couple of months no matter was I set my boost to it will hit the specified boost but then drops down then goes back up and it's constantly going up and down.

Now iv had a look for vacuum leaks but haven't found any, so I'm wondering if anyone has come

Across this problem before? Was thinking it could be my controller it's self or maybe an Air flow problem.

Any suggestions?

But also because it's a solenoid controller if it was the problem would I be able to just replace the solenoid?

Lol I hope not... That cost be a fair bit only had it 2 years lol

You'd be better off with a Turbotech if you're only going to run 12psi any way.

You'd be better off with a Turbotech if you're only going to run 12psi any way.

Well to be honest I was only running 12psi cause I don't have fuel pump, fmic, or a full exhaust. Once I got that I was gonna run 14. But any way I'll pull my controller apart n see if it's the solenoid.

turn off ur ebc and see what happens. i can turn off my avcr and will run just as well off the stock wastegate spring altho only hitting 10psi

yeh if the solenoid is stuffed you can replace that only

Edited by nitro_d

Id be checking fuel pressure and probably upgrading that stock pump, its good to do anyway. I also wouldnt be hitting boost until you've done this.

turn off ur ebc and see what happens. i can turn off my avcr and will run just as well off the stock wastegate spring altho only hitting 10psi

yeh if the solenoid is stuffed you can replace that only

I'll try doing that see what happens lol hopefully it's just a solenoid or a leak some where but iv checked all my lines 100 times

Id be checking fuel pressure and probably upgrading that stock pump, its good to do anyway. I also wouldnt be hitting boost until you've done this.

Well I plan on a pump but I'm getting my full exhaust first that way my engine won't chock lol but yea pump is next then fmic

You wont have an engine if the pump isnt supplying enough fuel

Lol I know bro hahaha. Dw iv turned my boost down to stock atm till I can fix my problem and get my fuel pump. Know where I can get a walbro?

anywhere online, sponsors.. just make sure its genuine.

Yea I ain't going fake... Can't f**k around with fuel delivery if it's fake.

CONCLUSION! solenoid in my ebc is F'ed turned it off and it ran fine on the stock one. Thanx for the help guys :)

Ok now questions is.. Do I need a genuine hks solenoid or any will do? If so does anyone have an idea where I can locate one? Iv been looking on the net but can't source anything.

ok guys i have read abit but not all the replys has anyone covered Take the lines out of the boost controller and attach them together So your running NO boost controller

Also are you aware that boost controllers only work 1 way? try switching the in to out and the out to in

Well as iv said I turned it off and it boosts fine on stock boost, if i set the controller to stock boost it still f**ks up, plus it was working perfectly till a few weeks ago.

when you say boosting weird its not breaking down like a bad missfire? might be ok with lower boost but when you use the ebc its running higher boost, that would mean the solanoid is fine, just thinking about different things I wouldnt go replacing the solanoid straight away until you're sure its that. or like someone else suggested borrow a manual controller set it at 12ish psi and see if its still fine.

Edited by R32GTRS

No I mean when I set my boost controller to the lowest which is .5 bar which is pretty much stock anyway, it still hits .5 but then drops down then back up to .5 constantly, when I turn the controller off it boosts stock fine.. There for runing just off the stock one and even with the controller off it hits 10psi if I hold it long enough lol

Edited by OMG20Q

have you tryed swaping around the 2 vac lines that go to the boost controller ( if running in the wrong direction boost will spike QUITE ALOT )

Well see that's the thing... I haven't touched it since I set it up and it worked fine for the past 2 years..

Im pretty sure you've solved your problem.

Call up places that stock HKS gear, better to find one that stocks your ebc... You can definitely get replacement solenoids, they are known to break eventually.

And call them up!! You'll get a lot further than an email haha

Hmm I might do that actually. I was just going to buy a new ebc.. But I take it the solenoid will be alot cheaper lol. I pulled it apart earlier n it all seems fine but no way to tell if it's not working correctly is there lol

is the evc-3 discontinued, has a quick look on google. Seems pretty hard to find a replacement solenoid

Yea well that's wat im worries about :S it's an old ebc so I'm not sure if they will still stock parts.. Iv emailed hks Australia. But I'll call a few places tomorrow. All I can do is hope for the best. If not guess I'll up grade to the Eboost or greddy profec B

Edited by OMG20Q

you're running low boost on a basically stock car do as others have suggested and run a cheap boost T, cheap and far less can go wrong

Edited by R32GTRS

r32gtrs is right go get a turbo smart, drift boost T :) i have one of both cars

I know T boosts are alot cheaper and easier but I'm a little bit fancy :P I don't like the fact I have to pop my bonnet when I wanna change my boost lol. I'll have a think about it.

So today iv fitted my new greddy profec II and I'm still getting a little fluctuation... No where near as bad as the evc but still slightly, not as fast as the evc. But it will hit boost then kinda back down to stock, hold stock for a bit then pump back up to boost... Anyone know much about the greddy? Read the instructions but they don't exactly make sense lol