Sign in to follow this  
Ju180

Where to go to get my coilovers fixed/looked at

Hey guys/mandi where do you take your bus for suspension needs?? think im paranoid but rear coilover is making a knockin noise sometimes..maybe kinda.

pull the suspect coil over out, feel for looseness/movement in the top hat. hit the top shock bolt which secures the shaft to the top hat mount with rattle gun. observe for any wetness/oil leaks on the shock body or shaft. make sure the spring is seated and not able to jump around too much :)

if it has leaks or movement throw it away/sell it cheaply for someones r31 or corrola and come see me for new ones :)cost of repairing old coilovers outweighs cost of buying new ones, plus most places only put crap inserts in

them which will be dead within a few weeks/months and still charge a fortune + wont be adjustable usually. unless u have coilovers retailing for over 2grand dont rebuild.

i wont be attemping to do anything to my car as im a chef and not a semi-pro mechanic / car head.

apparently i have ISC N1 Coilovers 6kg/mm front & 4kg/mm rear!

Boost automotive is one place the race oriented guys in Launy go

6-4 is pretty slops :S

Yeah, only double and triple the factory rates

more than likely it will have a worn pillow ball in the top of the shock making it knock as such.

if the rattle is in the shock its self it will be uneconomical to fix like dave said but if it was just a top mount it may be a replaceable part.

anyway pedders do a $14 steering and suspension check which will tell you heaps of things that may or may not be wrong but it will confirm if you have a buggered shock or not. thats a cheap check. then buy yourself some new stuff of ebay and get someone to fit it.

or try pete nunn motorsport. 0408 145 234 he has a small workshop that he operates out of when hes not overseas. he has a huge motorsport background, mainly rally and can build a car from the ground up. and very good value. he can diagnose source new parts and fit.

or boost automotive. they will do same as above.

hope this helps.

more than likely it will have a worn pillow ball in the top of the shock making it knock as such.

if the rattle is in the shock its self it will be uneconomical to fix like dave said but if it was just a top mount it may be a replaceable part.

anyway pedders do a $14 steering and suspension check which will tell you heaps of things that may or may not be wrong but it will confirm if you have a buggered shock or not. thats a cheap check. then buy yourself some new stuff of ebay and get someone to fit it.

or try pete nunn motorsport. 0408 145 234 he has a small workshop that he operates out of when hes not overseas. he has a huge motorsport background, mainly rally and can build a car from the ground up. and very good value. he can diagnose source new parts and fit.

or boost automotive. they will do same as above.

hope this helps.

cheer's mate :)

the rear (tein) coilovers where knocking in my s13, i suspected it was actually the shocks in them as bearings seemed fine and bolts where tight. still dampened alright didnt really worry me and i tuned out the noise after a while.

LOL. The D2's in my 180 were the same. They made so much noise and leaked and were just rubbish. But they held it together. Ghetto spec FTMFW