Sign in to follow this  
_PLEZA

2 stroke or 4 stroke?

The driftpigs up for sale now and I'm looking at buying a bike. I've been looking at 450's either Honda or yamaha but can't decide whether I want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I know 2 strokes u have to mix the fuel which I'm not to fussed about but is there anything else? What would you guys pick ?

I ride a 4 stroke, rather them over 2 strokes, they are Easier to maintain, and are as fast or faster then 2 strokes my mate has a 125 and I have a 250 and mine will kill him in every way apart from jumping as the 2 stroke is lighter

ive got an R6 champ.. 4 stroke ftw lol

but honestly, 2 strokes are a bit laggy, and if you have ridden a motorbike you'll know what i mean by laggy, its just not so responsive, while the 4 stroker is really responsive, and fun as F*** to ride lol thumbsup.gif

i wouldnt recommend a 450 dude, either go a 250 if your starting out, or just get a R6 or R1 if your real confident

The driftpigs up for sale now and I'm looking at buying a bike. I've been looking at 450's either Honda or yamaha but can't decide whether I want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I know 2 strokes u have to mix the fuel which I'm not to fussed about but is there anything else? What would you guys pick ?

i find 2 strokes to be more fun, i have a 300exc and have a blast on it, when i ride mates 4 strokes i have found them boring.

I'm not using it on road, just up in the bush as I go away with a large group of mates who all have bikes

OoOoOhHh! Well 2 strokes the go then! I thought we were talking road bikes.. doh, sorry dude.

Haha no worries, yeah I'm thinking 2 stroke

2 stroke easy to rebuild but don't last as long I would prefer one if I did not ride it alot. 4 stroke will last you longer even tho you don't have power band

Ktms are good bikes but too expensive. I have about 3-4k to spend. What bikes do u guys recommend ?

Nothing like the sound and smell of a two stroke dirt bike to make you want to go for a ride. :)

4 stroke all the way for a dirt bike, especially if your going for long rides cross country and like power :) etc. If you were doing alot of jump then a 2 stroke would be the way.

4 stroke. They do everything better and you will never ever need more power than a 450 will dish out. Also don't let people tell you 4 strokes don't jump as well, twitch rode a 450 at xgames and bilko does nack 360s on his. There is a reason why yamaha are not building 2 strokes after this year

Ktms are good bikes but too expensive. I have about 3-4k to spend. What bikes do u guys recommend ?

Hahah you asked the same question I was thinking bro. Dunno if I should go with a 4 or 2 stroke. I'm going to be getting a Yamaha YZ250 as they're good, reliable bikes. You can get a 2006 model for $3000-$3500 and it's still a fairly new model. 2 stroke or 4 stroke yz's i've seen for that price. even a yz450 i have seen for that price in the same year model too. eBay have heaps of private sellers selling their yz's

Depends on the capacity you want, i would go 450 4 stroke

wr450f if you want to use it on the road as well

yz450f if its only used on private property (more power than you going to need)

If you dead set on a 250 i would go 2 stroke

2 Stroke = SR20 with Big Turbo

4 Stroke = Stock V8

You can never get bored of power band!

2 stroke power band :hypo: ..rebuild every 5000km i think..piece of piss...had a rgv 250 back in the day..was dyno.read somewhere they are building bigger compacity 2 strokes again due to demand..

I have a Suzuki rmx250, it's a 2 stroke. Really good fun and quick, going from 4 strokes all my life to this 2 stroke was worth it.

Make sure whatever bike you get, that its LAMS approved

2 Stroke = SR20 with Big Turbo

4 Stroke = Stock V8

You can never get bored of power band!

Haha yeah think im gonna go the 2 stroke. Yeah I've heard the powerband is like hitting boost haha.

I have a Suzuki rmx250, it's a 2 stroke. Really good fun and quick, going from 4 strokes all my life to this 2 stroke was worth it.

Make sure whatever bike you get, that its LAMS approved

What does LAMS stand for ?

lams means it's learner legal, you don't have to worry about it if your only riding on private property without a license

Oops I didn't think that post through. I'm on my iPhone so I dont know what state you are in. But in Victoria if your bike is LAMS approved AND you are on your L's, P's or first year of full license, with rec reg, it means you are tac covered in any accident whilst riding in the bush.

May not apply to you, depending on state and if you hav your license already or not.

Not sure what other states have

*Moved the topic to the Bike section thumbsup.gif

2 Stroke's are more fun, however 4 strokes are just so much easier to use day in and day out. Maintenance is easier and cheaper.

Screw the power band, with a good exhaust on a 4 stroke you can get power all through the rev range.

lams means it's learner legal, you don't have to worry about it if your only riding on private property without a license

ahhk, Nah ill just be riding off-road. So won't need to worry about that

yz450r's are awesome. You will shit bricks when you kick the rear out every gear change on a gravel road for the first time if you are a bike noob like me. I have never ridden a 2 stroke to compare but I don't know how anyone could find the yz450 boring.

2 stroke for the weekend warrior is by far best, cost less to buy, half as much as a 4 stroke to run and repair ( $600 to rebuild the 125, $1200 for my old 250F).

If your looking at racing then maybe consider a 4 stroke, but even then the rider makes all the difference

Has anyone actually ridden a 450? It's like a 2 stroke powerband but for the entire rev range

2 stroke for the weekend warrior is by far best, cost less to buy, half as much as a 4 stroke to run and repair ( $600 to rebuild the 125, $1200 for my old 250F).

If your looking at racing then maybe consider a 4 stroke, but even then the rider makes all the difference

This man is on the money. 2 strokes may 'seem' more maintence but really are nothing when it comes to your high performace 4 strokes.

4 stroke will be better if you intend to ride it on the road abit. Out in the bush 2 strokes and 4 stroke will be as good as each other, it all comes down to the rider.

Good all round fun bikes i'd go: DRZ400's-250's, XR400-250's and DT230's (rarer but a great bikes)

Higher maintence bikes i'd go: KTM300 or 250exc, YZF450 (fair well with age)

I ride a RM125, ride track and bush on it. Gives me heaps of thrills and beat alot of my mates on bigger 4 strokes.

Thanks for your opinions fellas, defiantly gonna go with a 2 stroke.

Thanks for your opinions fellas, defiantly gonna go with a 2 stroke.

you wont be disappointed :D