Sign in to follow this  
Flying180

Child Killers

Damn you child killers..

http://www.news.com.au/national/kidsafe-australia-urges-drivers-to-abandon-4wd-vehicles-after-series-of-driveway-deaths/story-e6frfkvr-1226032217337

ABANDONING the four-wheel drive as the family car would help prevent driveway fatalities, a children's safety group says.Of the 13 children involved in driveway-related fatalities in Victoria since 2000, 10 were killed by a 4WD or truck, figures released by the Coroners Court show.

Even more alarmingly, since December there have been three driveway deaths in Victoria. In the most recent case a one-year-old boy was struck by his father's Audi 4WD when he went to retrieve a toy that rolled under the car at Hillside on February 15.

Kidsafe Australia president Mark Stokes said driveway fatalities were easy to prevent and one step in doing this was abandoning the 4WD as the family car.

"We don't like them one bit. They are more dangerous on the road for the people they hit. They are more dangerous on the road for the people in them when they hit things," Dr Stokes said.

"Parents are buying these cars because they think they are safer and what they do is they end up killing their own children with them," he said.Dr Stokes said many parents were buying 4WDs under the mistaken assumption that they were safer, but the driveway fatality figures backed Kidsafe's belief that they were not.

He suggested station wagons were a much safer option for families.

The figures also showed children aged between one and three accounted for 69 per cent of child driveway deaths.

Road policing strategy group Acting Inspector John Gibson said drivers of large cars with small children needed to be extra vigilant.

"We know that small children are often difficult to see if you are in a large vehicle and we also know that the implications of children being injured as a result of being hit by a vehicle are much more likely to be fatal because they are so small and fragile," he said.

Many of the driveway deaths also occurred during busy periods of the day when families were leaving the house for school and work or in the evening when they were returning home.

A group made up of Victoria Police, the Coroners Prevention Unit and other agencies have released a set of safety tips for families around driveways.

The safety tips include:

• Where possible separate children's play areas from driveways with fences and self-closing gates.
  • Always lock vehicles to prevent children from playing in them.
  • If you're the only adult at home and need to move a car, place children securely in the vehicle while you move it.

Toyota, which sold more than 50,000 SUVs in Australia last year, said it expected motorists to drive safely.

"Toyota Australia would expect drivers, regardless of the vehicle they are driving, to obey all road safety rules and practice safe driving whether on public roads or private property," a company spokesperson said in a statement.

Reverse cameras and sensors are fitted on some of Toyota's 4WD models but are not standard on the popular Prado and Rav4 vehicles.

The manufacturer, however, is in the process of including the technology in its entire range.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/kidsafe-australia-urges-drivers-to-abandon-4wd-vehicles-after-series-of-driveway-deaths/story-e6frfkvr-1226032217337

Douchebags should be banned as well...

Confucius say, kid that stands behind or under running vehicle gets squashed.

so once they all move to station wagons and start running over their kids in wagons will they call for a ban on them also?

f**king retards.

if a child is that stupid, they deserve to die.

if a parent is that stupid, they deserve to kill their children.

so once they all move to station wagons and start running over their kids in wagons will they call for a ban on them also?

f**king retards.

Yep. They expect everyone to have eyes on all sides of the cars, maybe a full glass car?

I know it said there has been 3 since December last year, but 12 since 2000 yet there calling to ban 4wd's? To me thats not probably much worse then any other accidents.

How many children have drowned in back yard pools since 2000? I bet it would be more then that? Don't think they will get banned.

When i move mine, i either have them in the car, or locked inside. Its not hard to make a mistake, but its also not hard to prevent it.

Typical knee jerk reaction from any government bureau trying to win votes.

The figures also showed children aged between one and three accounted for 69 per cent of child driveway deaths.

Jesus Christ it's easy to make a % sound so massive when in total there were only 13.

I still think it is absolutely pointless for mums etc to be driving around in those 4WD's that you know never leave the city.. Parking in bus lanes to get their kids at the expense of others.. Parking pretty much on pedestrian crossings which block sight for everyone.. The idea that if they get in an accident they'll be safe yet, the chances are they will wipe out anyone else involved if it is a serious accident.

I have a solution.

Every 4WD should be equipped with reverse cameras.

:woot:

Problem solved!!

Unless for the poor kids who go under the car to retrieve a ball.. Under car cameras??

Just don't have kids..

Rolled Cambers is the perfect example of what happens when you do..

Just don't have kids..

Bahahaha

But seriously, reverse camera's fitted standard to all 4wds from a certain date, like how ESP etc has to be fitted to all new cars now.

Just don't have kids..

vat iz vong vit me?