Sign in to follow this  
Rolled Cambers

Lights, camera, action

So, as you all might know, i went ahead and gambled over 2k on a camera. I purchased the Canon 60D with standard kit (for now)

Im more trying to get used to using manual mode, focusing, getting things sharp, playing around with depth of field, aperture, shutter speed, iso, you know the usual camera crap.

This is all new to me, but yeah, so instead of posting in random threads, i thought id make my own little section where i can post up all my adventurous pictures and the things i see. Some may be in the backyard, some are in the park, some out of the window of my car.

I take the camera out with me everywhere i go, shopping, driving, seeing the gf, to the park, you know, just so i can learn. I mean practice makes perfect right?

Less talk more pics, Here they are for you to look and criticize. Love to see all thoughts and opinions, and help me to snap better pics the next time i push on the shutter button.

Snap 003a.JPG

Snap 046a.JPG

Snap 097a.JPG

Snap 137a.JPG

Snap 201a.JPG

KACHING 002a.JPG

KACHING 004a.JPG

KACHING 007a.JPG

KACHING 010a.JPG

KACHING 012a.JPG

KACHING 013a.JPG

I really would have loved it if i got the last pic more clear!! It was a mix between snap and OH SHIT!

I have noticed they are very grainy, and not sharp as the LCD on the cam showed it to be, can i fix this somehow? How can i improve on my sharpening skills?

hey great pics

the reason for grain is that the ISO is most probably set to auto or set very high (800+).

the lower the ISO the less grain you will get

Some not bad pics there i like the disco ball ,really clear, would have been even better if the vent wasn't there

hey great pics

the reason for grain is that the ISO is most probably set to auto or set very high (800+).

the lower the ISO the less grain you will get

thankyou ^.^

ohh crap! i was thinking the higher ISO, the beter quality :S

Some not bad pics there i like the disco ball ,really clear, would have been even better if the vent wasn't there

Thanks man, yeah that was the best angle of it i could take, the ceiling was filled with lights and vents

oh my gosh the duckling and bunny baby pictures are adorable :D great work, keep it up!!

Lol thanks, going to see dj havana brown tonight at northlands shopping centre, so expect a couple shots of her :thumbsup:

Dj Havana Brown performing live at Northlands Shopping Center earlier tonight.

Took some good shots.

Man it is so hard trying to hold the camera steady above peoples heads while they wave their arms and do the Muzza dance to every song!

She is bloody stunning, and i mean hot!! Better in person then in pics!!

149243_460326000754_559480754_6008670_540116_n.jpg

156289_460325975754_559480754_6008669_5265262_n.jpg

163011_460325905754_559480754_6008667_2997938_n.jpg

148553_460325960754_559480754_6008668_4805891_n.jpg

^ that has to be the cutest face evaaaaaaaaaar! lol sorry

Yeah thats about it for Havana Brown, i know not the best, but you try keeping steady 20 meters away in a crowd of young hot and sweaty teens jumping around like their in the stone age and have just created fire.

the shots of her are under exposed, the bright back ground has spoilt the exposure meter...

M

So, in a brightly lit room, with a bright background and constant light changes, i should choose a higher aperture, so the hole is smaller?

Give me some tips as well people, not just how the picture looks but how i can improve and what i can do

Do you need so fkn many threads? Keep them all in the one mate :rolleyes:

On a brighter note, well done on the pictures. I too am a noobie to the DSLR world and only started to get the hang of it. I was also getting grainy pictures, mainly indoor pictures.

Need to keep practicing. Also saving for better lenses... +$1k though :(

Oh btw... STICK TO ONE THREAD ONLY BITCH!!!

Cheers,

Andy

Indeed shes stunning and I like her mixes.

What settings were you shooting at? Exif is stripped so cant check. Kit lens is f3.5-5.6??? I would have shot it at f3.5, iso 1600 if i had too.. but tell me your settings.

oh and yes stick to this thread from now for pics.. thanks

Dj Havana Brown performing live at Northlands Shopping Center earlier tonight.

Took some good shots.

Man it is so hard trying to hold the camera steady above peoples heads while they wave their arms and do the Muzza dance to every song!

She is bloody stunning, and i mean hot!! Better in person then in pics!!

149243_460326000754_559480754_6008670_540116_n.jpg

156289_460325975754_559480754_6008669_5265262_n.jpg

163011_460325905754_559480754_6008667_2997938_n.jpg

148553_460325960754_559480754_6008668_4805891_n.jpg

^ that has to be the cutest face evaaaaaaaaaar! lol sorry

Yeah thats about it for Havana Brown, i know not the best, but you try keeping steady 20 meters away in a crowd of young hot and sweaty teens jumping around like their in the stone age and have just created fire.

Wow, pretty steady shots considering what you had to do to get them! I love that you've made the background so out of focus, really puts all the attention straight on her :)

lol thanks miiuppet!

Yeah i was shooting from a distance, in a crowd, holding up the camera using the flip lcd screen, really comes in handy sometimes!

I think i may have to sell the cam but! :( i wanna buy a house, so i need every penny, i really dont want to let it go!!! :( its heartbreaking lol

The first day i got it, i was so excited, and then realising i spent over 2k which should have gone towards a deposit, i need a way around this, keep the cam and buy a house :whistle:

Indeed shes stunning and I like her mixes.

What settings were you shooting at? Exif is stripped so cant check. Kit lens is f3.5-5.6??? I would have shot it at f3.5, iso 1600 if i had too.. but tell me your settings.

oh and yes stick to this thread from now for pics.. thanks

Hey dude, i dont know lol, cant remember, can i tell from the file? its jpeg though.

I used the 55-250 lens, at.. i think 800 iso, cant remember the aperture, basically i chose a lower iso, and a real low aperture.. dont know why lol

But im happy with it! not the best, but it did beat all of my mates digi cams and iphones! lol

A mate came up to me with his 5mp phone, and showed me the pic, then i showed him mine n his like, did u edit that while you were taking the pic? :unsure:

Although he got his hat signed, and took a pic with her, which sucked for me cause i left early

Wow, that really sucks! :( Guess you gotta do what you gotta do though. Any chance of selling the camera and buying something a bit cheaper for the mean time and then upgrading further down the track?

I was thinking of doing that actually, but it would cost almost as much either way. I mean a half decent slr would cost me between 1 and 1.5k, new. Somewhat better then that, second hand around the same as well.

I actually made up my mind, i'm keeping the cam, and save for a couple weeks to make up for it. Win Win!! :woot:

I went to the ACT yesterday. Left at 4am, got there around 9:30/10am. Crazy uncle, was doing 140-170 all the way, had to gps so avoided all the cameras. lol.

Took some shots on the way up and down. Mainly in the car and at parliament house. Here are some previews of shots taken. I'm also new to night time shots and settings. So see how they look and give me tips. The exif should be on there so check that and tell me how it should have been done.

canberrapics035.jpg

canberrapics015.jpg

canberrapics004.jpg

Sweet, i found a program that lets you re-size your pictures, keeping its original quality, without removing exif info.

Works a treat, it also lets you add a watermark to it as well. Trying to add my logo but can't figure it out lol

Anyways more pics from canberra.

Canberra pics 021.jpg

So basically it was mainly pictures of trees on the drive there

Canberra pics 065.jpg

Got to take a picture with our ranga president, pretty happy with that one

Canberra pics 069.jpg

Inside parliament. Its pretty neat actually.

Canberra pics 083.jpg

Some road kill along the way

Canberra pics 084.jpg

Canberra pics 091.jpg

Yeah heaps of these.. they got pretty boring after 4000 pics of trucks

Canberra pics 102.jpg

Passed winton, couldnt really stop there. We were in a hyundai elantra or some shit. lol, fwd drifts??

Canberra pics 106.jpg

Canberra pics 113.jpg

Canberra pics 114.jpg

Ive been having a look at my pictures closely, they dont seem to be as sharp as i want them to be. Their also grainy, even when choosing a low ISO such as 800 and lower.

Can any one give me tips on focusing? I mean i have been using the cameras 9 focus points, and it tells me that the object that its pointed at is in full focus, but when processed and printed, its really not all that good.

Is it because im not using a tripod?

I have my first photo shoot for a guy who wants to do a album cover, so i dont want to f**k that up lol

Tips please haha, if i can get this guys shoot A grade, then maybe he will tell other local artists and ill get more shoots.

Main problem is, to me anyways, looks out of focus and grainy, even when using the cameras focus points and a low ISO using manual mode.

Sorry i haven't updated anything for a while, been working a bit.

Here's just some pics i took today just to keep everyone interested, if you are.

As i said before, please do comment and give more tips, the more tips i get, the better i become.

I'd really like to know how to shoot cars, not moving, just normal shots. Should i look out for background? Time of day? Lighting conditions? My settings?

Any ideas??

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Something i thought i would try, it looks trippy to me, maybe that's just my eyes?

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

Alright hold up for a sec. Lets concentrate on that album cover shoot your doing. Whats planned? Studio shoot or outdoors? Portraits or full body shots? Props or no props?

I honestly don't think your prepared just yet. Have you tried off camera flash? Got yourself any wireless triggers/umbrellas etc? If you plan on doing portraits i highly recommend you get yourself atleast the cheap 50mm prime which is about 120 bucks max. Dont mean to be rude or anything btw.. just saying you got a lot to learn before you do that shoot.

In regards to the grainy pic which one are you referring too? Post up pic/exif so we can have a look.

Lets start with that and go from there.

Cheers

Alright hold up for a sec. Lets concentrate on that album cover shoot your doing. Whats planned? Studio shoot or outdoors? Portraits or full body shots? Props or no props?

I honestly don't think your prepared just yet. Have you tried off camera flash? Got yourself any wireless triggers/umbrellas etc? If you plan on doing portraits i highly recommend you get yourself at least the cheap 50mm prime which is about 120 bucks max. Dont mean to be rude or anything btw.. just saying you got a lot to learn before you do that shoot.

In regards to the grainy pic which one are you referring too? Post up pic/exif so we can have a look.

Lets start with that and go from there.

Cheers

Ive talked to the guy sid, he doesnt know what theme he wants, hes told me nothing, just said he wants me to do a shoot for him.

It wont be in a studio. Most likely outdoors, possibly night time in the city, my budget is kind of tight at the moment, i'm having a look at triggers, haven't thought about umbrellas, never wanted one. Didn't know I'd get into photo shoots this quick. I'm not even sure if i really want to do it because my pics are grainy and not sharp yet, i'm new to this so i think ill decline that offer. Ill see how i go.

Sid i've managed to get the grain away on my pics, but i'm having trouble making them sharp, ill upload some i took last night.

Should i look into UV/Polarized lens? Since summers here, there will be a lot of reflections bouncing around stuff.

No no do it so you get the experience. I mean if he is asking commercial grade stuff then yes that's a different story. But have a go mate...

In regards to the grainy pic/sharpness I need to see the pics you are referring too.

A CPL filter is what your after.

Ohh okay sid, i talked to him today, im having a go, his album is called "awaken by reality" so brainstorming some ideas, he doesnt want commercial grade material, just a better then average shoot. i think ill be doing some photoshop into it aswell.

okay ill have a look into those filters, are there any other filters i should get? that ill be using frequently? or i dont need em for now?

Sid this is the photo that came out either grainy, or not in focus, not too sure, have a look at it, the exif should be there, if it doesnt show, save it to your computer and right click - properties - summary. it will show there

IMG_0818.JPG

Here are more pictures taken the other night. Was bored, it was mainly point and shoot, so please do mind the crap quality.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

Hay thanks for the great comment on my portfolio, only think it's fair to return the favor =)

But... I mainly focus on cars so I'm probably not very helpful, and I over photo-shop which makes things worse as a critique, Sidd's the man for this job!!

-The First picture you said was grainy is because the image was taken at 1600Iso. So if your playing with Av, M, P, TV modes, you can just manually change the Iso.

Also the first image seems out of focus is because (it seems) the camera focused on the hair scrunchy at the back, So to reduce chances of mis-focusing have a read of your camera manual on how to Do "Af point selection" it's a very useful technique.

-The image with the basketball court and flowers I liked, but the top bits of the flowers got cropped out of the image, so maybe try to point the lens a bit up and just get all of the top bits of the flowers into the image. Framing is important!

-Adding to what Sidd has already said, Do invest in a 50mm F1.8 ($120)or... 1.4usm ($350?), it's cheap, light, small and most important Image quality.

It's F1.8 meaning it's fast so great for darker scenes, the images are sharper comparing to the kit lens and being fixed at 50mm you get to learn alot about how to frame the subject.

-If you got spare time, have a fiddle with Adobe light-room/ Photoshop, Simple edits like levels and contrast can make your images go :woot:

Well keep on shooting mate ( I got a 1000D from a year ago and already shot 28000 Images as well as a 550D), Looking to upgrade lens or body soon, so I'm so jealous of your 60d :(.

Joseph

Cheers Joseph!

I also viewed the first pic, printed it off actually and noticed the focus was around the hair/scrunchy. The lighting was very low at the time so i had to bump the ISO. I'm trying to learn how to use the flash properly.

Yeah sid has been a big help, so i appreciate his time and help! I'm struggling to chip in for a decent set up, if you read above, i'm buying a house so every penny is going towards that.

In the mean time for me, its trial and error. I'm trying to get out as much as i can and fiddle around with settings, different lighting, etc

Ill keep you guys posted and give a shout if im stuck or something :P

_Evan

^ Great tips there.

When i get the time I will look at the pics and see exif and suggest some tips for you..Just been so busy lately.

Keep on practicing mate you will get there.

So i went to Sydney on Christmas day, came back this morning.

Here are some shots of the beach, Kiama beach or something, anyways, really nice there.

I decided to play around with white balance and use color temperature, around.. 2300k?

Anyways here they are. More to come, thought id upload some now and the rest later.

IMG_1675.JPGIMG_1677.JPGIMG_1684.JPGIMG_1687.JPGIMG_1688.JPGIMG_1690.JPGIMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

Oh yeah i forgot the bloody tripod back in melb!!

so this was all on rocks and on the sand, bins, bags etc =[

with those last few, crop them and turn them a little so the ground is horizontal. but nice shots man, like the colour