Sign in to follow this  
RubyRS4

Praise to the Aprilia RS250

I see so much talk about LAMS approved bikes and 250s and bigger 600s/750s, that I wanted to highlight one of the best bikes I've ever owned, raced, crashed, and raced some more.

The Aprilia RS250 is an awesome 250, but not LAMS approved. And I understand why. First time I purchased mine in race trim back some 4-5 years ago, I thought it was totally nuts that learners could jump on these things ... thankfully they changed the laws. They are a stupidly fast bike, esepcailly around corners.

Aprilia basically took the RGV motor, put their own top end on it (pistons, rods, bearings, barrels, heads), threw it into a better handling frame, and made an awesome starting point for a race bike. I sold my RS250 some years ago in the quest for more power. I raced/tracked a GSXR600 for few years, but missed the "fun" the RS250 offered. I ended up selling my 600 and my mate who purchased my 250 offered it back to be. Done deal. I have since, unfortunately, blown the engine on track, but she's 95% rebuilt and will be ready for a track day next month.

I think its unfortunate that the RS250 is overlooked, as new riders can't ride them due to the LAMS restrictions, and anyone stepping up from LAMS bikes will go straight for a 600 or better. But if you ever get the opportunity to own one ... buy it!

:)

Anyone else on this forum ever owned one and enjoyed it? Share your pros and cons.

Hey mate,

how tall/heavy are you?

did you find them to be a bit 'twichy' on the road at all?

Killer bikes though! :)

Never rode it on the road. It was, and still is now, my race bike. Never found the RS250 twitchy at all, and I've pushed this thing hard around Mallala and Phillip Island. Found the RS250 much more stable than my GSXR 600 race bike. I'm 176cm and 80kg.

Will be taking her out to the Broadford track in VIC next month, then Phillip Island ... then might be time to sell :(

nice bike mate, never had the chance to ride on one of these, i would like to though.