Sign in to follow this  
SRS13

Your car - what's happening?

Hey,

All of us have cars that we are building, modifying, etc but may not want to create 'build threads' about them.

So I thought I would start a thread where you can post general stuff about your car.

That is;

• general updates
  • what's happening with it?
  • things your trying
  • mods your planning
  • issues your dealing with
  • stuff your fixing
  • etc etc

Try and keep it realistic ie not talking about a Tomei 2.2 stroker if you have no intention of doing it!!

I know it will be quite random and a bit all over the place but I am sure people would want to hear about it.

Hopefully will be a source to also get some help (motorsport focussed) but the basic idea is to create some general chat about OUR track and street cars!

Cheers,

John

great idea and great thread

will definitely be keeping my eye out on this thread

* general updates work has started on my car again hoping i can have it finished b4 the year ends

* what's happening with it? rebuilt engine to suit a sr20v cylinder head

* things your trying full new turbo setup with custom inlet manifold E85 and C16

* mods your planning maybe later on down the track i wanna try a few different types of inlet manifold design's to try make more torque

* issues your dealing with not enough time

* stuff your fixing almost every thing but mostly cleaning up the engine bay getting rid of a lot of un-needed wiring

what about your self john?? any thing new happening with your car ???

my new car:

super crapbox S13 Silvia, for daily driving and occasional track days maybe.

S14 SR20DET engine

Short piping / upside down mounted EVO intercooler

3" exhaust

standard suspension

standard brakes (will change to R32 stuff soon)

14" steel Pintara wheels (will change to fit brakes asap)

It's nice to at least be driving a Silvia again :)

# general updates got the 1j running

# things your trying will be trying modified rear knuckles. maybe going to change the LCA pickup points

# issues your dealing withwiring :S it doesn't turn off :lol: need to pull the fuel pump relay when you want to turn it off :lol: and need to finish wiring the stack cluster

i'm actually really keen to see how it performs on the track. should be all go early next year

Updates. nismo LSD pro tt as my s15 stocky sounds like a cement mixer

VCT needs fixing 2 years and still going lol

last et was 1.13(205 semis) at wakefield, ill see what I can do with lsd and stock suspension.

Maybe some front camber.

Awesome idea.. saves me having to use my build thread haha.

* general updates Working thru everything, nearly at the stages of putting interior back in.

* what's happening with it? Engine is about to come out for the rebuild.

* things your trying E85/BP98

* mods your planning Knuckles, interior redevelopment, more engine sensors to laptop output.

* issues your dealing with time and knowledge.

* stuff your fixing everything, interior complete re-trim is nearly ready.. engine has to come out so i can get stuck onto tidying the bay.

Guess I should post about the race car in the making too:

1974 Datsun 260Z 2 seater

Engine 1: L26 with cam, extractors, 240Z carbies.

Engine 2: L28 with cam, extractors, triple webbers, various other bits (~120rwkw I think)

Engine choice will depend on what I feel like putting in it I think (#1 is in the car now) Engine 2 is coming out of a car that I'm doing a custom EFI setup for a very worked L series (3.1L, revs over 9000, etc)

Suspension: Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks, custom adjustable spring lands, 250lb king springs, rally spec radius mods with solid pillow ball mount, urethane bushes everywhere else.

I will probably end up putting a set of rose jointed rear control arms on it, and modifying the front control arms for adjustable camber.

Wheels: 15x7 Konig Rewind (zero offset)

The car is totally stripped, will be running a small (~18L) fuel cell, and minimal excess equipment, so I'm aiming for sub 800kg. I'll be adding a basic roll cage for safety and to add a bit of rigidity to the 36 year old chassis :)

Chances are it'll still be slower than my old car (and probably the daily driver S13) but it'll be a lot of fun!

• general updates - Out of commission for some upgrades as the motorsports season winds down for 2010. Getting it ready for Irace, MRA and the state supersprint rounds next year.
  • what's happening with it? - Some new power mods, still deciding on which semis to get
  • things your trying - E85.
  • mods your planning - walbro pump, arc fmic, new turbo, E85, new injectors, new semis
  • issues your dealing with - traction problems due to inferior tyres

Bit of a update with whats going on with my track 180 .

whats getting done

sound deading removed

seam welding engine bay ,floor,boot,pretty much every where

respraying insides all red

new mods ive just got

52mm aluminum radiator from mr post man

trust look alike inlet manifold from Advan performance

now saveing for coilovers :)

I think it would help to list your car/engine/etc so people know what you're talking about

* Car - Nissan Cefiro, RB25DET

* general updates - fu©k all progress, have a heap of parts waiting to go on

* what's happening with it?

* things you're trying - fitting an RB26 plenum (adapted to suit RB25)

* mods you're planning - new coilovers, fit RB26 plenum, buy Koyo 32mm copper core rad, fit AU thermos, tidy engine bay, reinstall dash, create custom gauge panel, tidy up the stripped interior

* issues you're dealing with - lack of funding

^ let me know if u wanna modify the rb26 plenum and throttle bodies to suit a Rb25 head

we can help u out with that

Glad people like the thread. Don't necessarily need to list and answer the questions each time if you don't want to.

Car is a S13 Silvia

* general updates - the splitter was finished and trialled with some promising results. Need to make some adjustments to the splitter to lower it a bit but happy so far.

* things your trying - tried E85 and results were not as expected. So will be going back for dyno on road tyres not semis.

* mods your planning - weight saving! Car weighs 1140kg as is which is a little heavy. So pulling out the front part of the cage and pulling out the dash and then cutting/pulling off anything else not needed. Relocating the battery to the cabin.

* issues your dealing with - time to get it all done! trying to work out what size rims to get, 17' or 18's and what width. 9.5 or 10 all around.

* stuff your fixing - need to fix the exhaust manifold and get it machined flat. Have to work out where to take it to do it. Also need to fix the catch can set-up.

Other than that it is getting ready for the NSW Supersprint series next year.

STR8E180 - when is your car going to be ready - sounds like it is going to be an animal. What suspension, aero mods have you planned for it?

Dumhed - didn't know you were building a Zed! No turbo power????????????

i remember seeing pictures of your spliter and it looks great

might try some thing like that later on but at the moment the most important thing to me is getting the car driving again once i have done that ill play around with other stuff

planing on having it ready by the end of the year

chea the bloke at powertune which is managing the development of the car reckons his only got 2 or 3 weeks left of work but because the workshop is so bizzy its hard to find time to focus on it

but definitely will be finished by the end of the year so im very happy

originally the car was setup 2 run on 2 different fuels controlled via a switch inside the car but chea now wants to run E85 full time

( the powertune boys love E85 and have seen some great results in their own development car POWERTUNE Red Dragon development car )

which means instead of having 2 fuel rails one for E85 and one for 98octane its now converted so both fuel rails are hooked up to the same fuel source

or we might even just block up one fuel rail and keep it aside for when we wanna start playing around with methanol

just waiting for some new injector o-rings before bolting the inlet manifold up then wiring is going to start on the car

suspension wise it has

Tein Coilovers - will be changing them later on in the future they are pretty worn out

KTS Castor Rods

KTS Tie Rods

KTS Tie Rod Ends (with built in RCA)

KTS Rear Camber Arms

KTS Rear Toe Arms

KTS Rear Traction Rods

D-Project Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms

D-Project Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms

D-Project Steering Rack Bushes

Solid Subframe Risers

aero havent done much yet just ORIGIN Carbon Canards

i have gone with a ORIGIN wide body kit so i can fit fatter rubber under the car

VOLK TE37

18 X 10.5 +15 ( front )

18 X 10.5 +15 ( rear )

their is still heaps of stuff i try in the future such as inlet manifold designs, splitter, diffuser

i remember seeing pictures of your spliter and it looks great

might try some thing like that later on but at the moment the most important thing to me is getting the car driving again once i have done that ill play around with other stuff

planing on having it ready by the end of the year

chea the bloke at powertune which is managing the development of the car reckons his only got 2 or 3 weeks left of work but because the workshop is so bizzy its hard to find time to focus on it

but definitely will be finished by the end of the year so im very happy

originally the car was setup 2 run on 2 different fuels controlled via a switch inside the car but chea now wants to run E85 full time

( the powertune boys love E85 and have seen some great results in their own development car POWERTUNE Red Dragon development car )

which means instead of having 2 fuel rails one for E85 and one for 98octane its now converted so both fuel rails are hooked up to the same fuel source

or we might even just block up one fuel rail and keep it aside for when we wanna start playing around with methanol

just waiting for some new injector o-rings before bolting the inlet manifold up then wiring is going to start on the car

suspension wise it has

Tein Coilovers - will be changing them later on in the future they are pretty worn out

KTS Castor Rods

KTS Tie Rods

KTS Tie Rod Ends (with built in RCA)

KTS Rear Camber Arms

KTS Rear Toe Arms

KTS Rear Traction Rods

D-Project Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms

D-Project Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms

D-Project Steering Rack Bushes

Solid Subframe Risers

aero havent done much yet just ORIGIN Carbon Canards

i have gone with a ORIGIN wide body kit so i can fit fatter rubber under the car

VOLK TE37

18 X 10.5 +15 ( front )

18 X 10.5 +15 ( rear )

their is still heaps of stuff i try in the future such as inlet manifold designs, splitter, diffuser

Kemp, you're f**king insane! :lol:

I'll keep mine simple.

New battery.

In cabin brake bias adjustment as the car is not using it's rears effectively with the BM50 in it atm. Also rebuild the master and get the internal valving removed.

Redo bonnet pins to get them closer to the leading edge so i don't have to tape it down.

I have a headlight vent on the way too.

After that, maybe try a set of softer rear springs and look at upgrading the shocks.

Dave, where are you getting the headlight vent?

Kemp - the car sounds wicked but its been in the build too long - get it out there :)

Dumhed - didn't know you were building a Zed! No turbo power????????????

The zed's been in the making for years (well, in the shed) but it's finally getting some work done on it.

No turbo power planned for now, but if I end up with a complete SR20 drive train at some point I might have to put it in :)

Think your plan should be to 'start with an SR20DET drive train' however an atmo L'series motor with webers does sound appealing!

^ let me know if u wanna modify the rb26 plenum and throttle bodies to suit a Rb25 head

Thanks for the offer Kemp but it was already done in Japan, I bought it 2nd hand. If you're interested I can send you some pics of it, just pm me an email address.

lot of people heading down the E85 route, if you have any questions happy to assist.

With regard to E85 any gain to be had using it on an NA engine ? eg 20v 4age

Thanks for the offer Kemp but it was already done in Japan, I bought it 2nd hand. If you're interested I can send you some pics of it, just pm me an email address.

did u use an adapter plate or did u cut and weld a new flange on?

i have seen these adapter plates on the market

IMG_0097.jpg

and i have seen the cut and shut

IMG_1080.jpg

Kemp - the car sounds wicked but its been in the build too long - get it out there :)

i will be getting it out there

SOON!!!

its not even a money issue the issue is the workshop finding time to work on it

but work has started on it again so thats a good sign

im praying its done by the end of the year so i can have start having fun with it again next year

Dave, where are you getting the headlight vent?

here

As it's offset i figure i can add a light in there if i feel the need. Night time trailer loading is a PITA with no working headlights atm...

Just dropped off some new vertex side skirts to be sprayed. Hopefully get them back this week.

Then in the next few weeks I have to get my Greddy ez cams installed with my z32. Only fun times to come!

Getting pods and lip painted. Fixing air con this weekend.

Dave: good find and thanks for the link. Have you ordered already? If you haven't I'm up for one.

greens14: what turbo and what power you expecting?

TN: air con should be coming out not getting fixed :P post pics when the kit is on there.

lot of people heading down the E85 route, if you have any questions happy to assist.

NA gains don't seem to be as much as with the turbo but researching you can expect around 5% with some reporting up to 10% in some instances depednign on motor and specification.

NA gains don't seem to be as much as with the turbo but researching you can expect around 5% with some reporting up to 10% in some instances depednign on motor and specification.

I'm in the middle of upgrading my turbo/fuel setup.

Do you think I could borrow an E85 friendly wideband controller off you (just the controller part not the sensor, my controller/gauge only shows 10-20 afr. An inovative with the usb would be cool to hook up to my tuning software.).

Apart from new injectors and new pump is there anything else I should be looking at doing? Do you run pump blend or buy it by the barrel? Do you loose initial response due to the lower burning temperature?

Dave: good find and thanks for the link. Have you ordered already? If you haven't I'm up for one.

greens14: what turbo and what power you expecting?

TN: air con should be coming out not getting fixed :P post pics when the kit is on there.

Already ordered, sorry John.

Hold off a couple of weeks and i'll let you know if it's any good.

Car: Lancer Evolution VI GSR

General updates: After nearly 18 months of ownership, I am starting to get very serious in the engine mod department with trackwork in mind for the new year

What's happening with it? Over the last few months, I have been in search for power mods and supporting mods. Just picked up a bolt on Evo FP Red Turbo, full Plazmaman swept-back intercooler with Spec R intercooler pipework and a cast turbo outlet, ARC airbox, Kelford 272 camshafts and a Walbro fuel pump

Things you're trying: Possibly dual maps on a flash tuned stock ECU to run 98RON and E85

Mods you're planning: Have many of the parts I need but will need big injectors 1000cc plus for E85. Will more than likely have to upgrade the clutch to a twin-plate once turbo is bolted up and tuned to over 300wkw's.

Issues you're dealing with: No driver's licence (have it back in a couple of months) makes it difficult to get any work done on my car

Stuff you're fixing; Need to re-adjust the ride height and camber settings so that it's a little bit more user friendly and reduce the scrubbing on the rear guards. Currently needs a tune and new spark plugs as it appears to be running 3 cylinders