Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

CAMS - General Information

Recommended Posts



As requested, this is just a quick information dump on CAMS and info that some may need. I will update this ongoing and improve the content.


Taken from the CAMS website;


CAMS - Confederation of Australian Motor Sport


With so many different forms of motor sport in Australia and over 1,800 events run each year there is surely something for everyone.


How do I get involved?


See whats out there. Attending different types of motor sport events will help you work out which discipline of the sport you would like to become involved in.


Motor sport events are run on almost every weekend of the year in each state, ranging from grass roots events like club-level hillclimbs and motorkhanas, to international events like Rally Australia and the FORMULA 1™ Australian Grand Prix.


Join a CAMS affiliated club:


Clubs are the backbone of the sport and can be a fantastic source of information.


Joining a club helps you meet people who can assist you to get into the sport. Clubs can also be a great place to buy spare parts or even your first vehicle. Many clubs run come-and-try days and some even provide vehicles so that you can experience first hand what motor sport competition is all about.


To search for a CAMS affiliated club


CAMS Car Clubs


You can search by club name or State.


Unfortunately NS.com is not a affiliated club. To do so would require a fee to be paid and completion of the form on the bottom of the page and other criteria. Perhaps in the future....


CAMS Affiliated Club Membership Form Link


Competing v Officiating


As a motor sport competitor, you will experience the thrill of being in the driver's seat, or the passenger seat, depending on the event. The cost of competing varies according to the category and level of motor sport, but the one thing every competitor needs is a CAMS licence.


The other popular and less expensive option is to become a volunteer motor sport official. Officials are required to enforce the rules and regulations of the sport. Volunteering at club-level events is the best way to learn what being a motor sport official is all about. There are also a number of specialist officiating clubs which provide opportunities for new officials.


Venues for Motor Sport Events


This can give you an idea on where to go and who to contact to get involved in events.






Competitors make up an important part of motor sport. To ensure that every competitor is fit and capable to compete, all competitors must be licensed correctly. This means that they have met the standards required for:


* medical fitness

* knowledge of the principles that underpin the competitive and safe nature of motor sport

* demonstrated practical ability for the discipline of choice


In addition, all competitors are required to comply with the CAMS Anti-doping Policy. This assists all involved to enjoy motor sport in a safe and responsible manner.


What Licence do I need?


This link has information on the different event types and what licence may be required;


Motor Sport Disciplines


Clicking on the icon will give you a description of what category/class that licence type covers.


Licence Types:


This is a good summary of the licence types. There are many and as above you would need to know what licence is required for the motor sport activity that you plan on getting involved in (see above)


CAMS Licence Types


Level 2 Speed (L2S)


The Licence that most of us would need to enter local track days without the need to pay local track day licence fees is the Level 2 Speed licence (L2S).


This is an entry level license so does not allow you to enter official races or rallies (see race or rally licence list) but it does give you entry to most if not all tracks in Australia without the need to pay local track daily licence fees etc.


This is a simple licence to apply for;


* Download the form

* Complete the form

* Enter your credit card details

* Send the form back to CAMS by post or fax or email scan


The only requirement is to be a Car Club member affiliated with CAMS (see list above). To join one of these clubs simply contact the club and enquire.


A medical examination is not required.


Once the form is completed and to CAMS, your licence will be sent to you in approx 5-10 working days.


Vehicle Requirements


Some vehicles require log booking if they are to compete in certain classes or events.


Road cars do not require log booking.


Logbook Information



If you have any questions not answered by the above information, please post and we will try and answer it for you!





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this