Sign in to follow this  
koguchi

Sleeping disorders/problems.

ull struggle if u went to sleep at 11am last time

I did it!!!! 5am - out to it...just woke up at 2:30..

Lets see how tonight goes.

there's ur problem man, waking up at 2:30, u need to be getting up at like 10am, as a minimum no later than 12.

there's ur problem man, waking up at 2:30, u need to be getting up at like 10am, as a minimum no later than 12.

In comparrison to the day before where I went to bed at 11am and awoke at 6:30pm its a good step forward I thought? as in reversed the clock approx 4 hours.

Tonight I will try to sleep at 2am'ish and if I'm lucky I will wake up 10am etc...

Its just really un predicatble at this stage with so many contributing factors that I still can't 100% understand or know exactly how to fix.

So I am trying a collection of all the above mentioned ideas except for the exercise.

Yeh, no? :mellow:

bare in mind its a bit difficult to commit to certain structures to fix the sleeping issue when every breath feels like a knife in my chest.

dont know if its been mentioned, but you could try a progressive muscle relaxation cd. basically when you decide to go to bed, put some earphones in, and listen to the person speaking and do exactly as they say.

you need to have a completely silent room, no lights - so if the missus wants to watch tv, tell her to go out to the tv room (if youve got a tv in your room that is).

i found it pretty good relaxation (was/is treating anxiety), makes you feel like your sinking about a foot into your bed once you've got it downpat

or if there is a tv on in your room of a night time, get a dark face towel to cover your eyes

there are 3 parts to the cd, but i can only remember the 1st and half way through the 2nd part before i'm out cold

In comparrison to the day before where I went to bed at 11am and awoke at 6:30pm its a good step forward I thought? as in reversed the clock approx 4 hours.

Tonight I will try to sleep at 2am'ish and if I'm lucky I will wake up 10am etc...

Its just really un predicatble at this stage with so many contributing factors that I still can't 100% understand or know exactly how to fix.

So I am trying a collection of all the above mentioned ideas except for the exercise.

Yeh, no? :mellow:

bare in mind its a bit difficult to commit to certain structures to fix the sleeping issue when every breath feels like a knife in my chest.

sleeping for a long time will make it hard to choose ur sleep pattern, remember its a lot easier to stay up later than ur body wants, than go to sleep before ur body wants to

once uve got a bit of REM under ur belt, then ur body will still function at least, u just may feel a bit drowsy.

really weird, i sleep fine when i work night shift, 8 hours, wake up refreshed full of energy.

when i work day shift im completely f**kd i cant sleep, lack of sleep.. dont get it.

dont know if its been mentioned, but you could try a progressive muscle relaxation cd. basically when you decide to go to bed, put some earphones in, and listen to the person speaking and do exactly as they say.

you need to have a completely silent room, no lights - so if the missus wants to watch tv, tell her to go out to the tv room (if youve got a tv in your room that is).

i found it pretty good relaxation (was/is treating anxiety), makes you feel like your sinking about a foot into your bed once you've got it downpat

or if there is a tv on in your room of a night time, get a dark face towel to cover your eyes

there are 3 parts to the cd, but i can only remember the 1st and half way through the 2nd part before i'm out cold

Thats a very good idea, that worked perfectly for me when I was doing hypnosis therapy the tackle server anxiety/depression/ptsd..

I remember in one of the sessiona I actually fell asleep after following the instructions to the T.

and recently when I was in hospital I covered my eyes with a spare tshirt and put ear plugs in....was the only sleep option when the guy next to me was coughing up the most horrific sounds you have ever heard.. :puke:

really weird, i sleep fine when i work night shift, 8 hours, wake up refreshed full of energy.

when i work day shift im completely f**kd i cant sleep, lack of sleep.. dont get it.

you should definatley checkout this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_disorder

from memory, it makes references to how this disorder actually works well for people who work night shifts, but also refernces that in daytime, its as if you have 6 hours jetlag..

And stewy, omg REM!!! Oh how I miss that....I cant remember the full stages, but isnt there a rem3 which is like uber sleep?

And your statement * remember its a lot easier to stay up later than ur body wants, than go to sleep before ur body wants to*

Is a total 100% accurate connection to whats going on here...

i always find when im "camping" or something where im away from my own bedroom with my TV and computer n shit, i can always get to sleep within an hour or 2, regardless of the time or my sleep pattern. it may not be good sleep, but its enough to satisfy my body.

u just need to be somewhere, where there are no lights or sounds, and tv and computer isnt an option, you shouldnt have used either a few hours before trying to going to sleep either.

and yeh, u dont realise how awesome REM is until ur not getting it, i suffered from proper insomnia for about 2 weeks, where i couldnt get past losing consciousness, u never actually sleep, just kind of forget where u are for a bit. ur mind is actually f**ked after a few days, by a weeks time ur a write off lol

What i've read so far after everything your still just waking up when your body wants to, do you not own an alarm? USE IT!

Stop taking the pills they are obviously not doing anything if you have to take so many.

Stop drinking alchol aswell.

If you really wanna sleep it doesn't seem like you are really trying at all to get your body used to falling asleep naturally.

Just try it for a few nights no alcohol, no pills and set your alarm for a time you wanna wake up.

I know you've got alot of stuff going on at the moment but if you really wanna get your sleep under control which will help reduce your stress a little and leave you with one less thing to be concerned about your not really trying the basic things and things that could be adding to the stress/depression.

Sorry to be so blunt but thats what it seems like.

^^^^ its ok to be blunt, sometimes its important to be blunt.

You're right, I have an alam, but I have stopped using it because it doesnt do shit. I wake up then just drift off to sleep.

I think a contributing factor is that I am currently not working due to an injury and thus think there is no reason to wake up which is probably a major contributing factor to what has lead to this complete opposite sleeping rythem.

And you're tright, at this point and time, I have given up on tyring to fall asleep naturally...and that again is a contributing factor.

I'm glad I started this thread. So much constructive critisim as well as good tips and helpful hints.

Thanks guys.

koguchi, what do you do to pass the day?

have you thought about doing things to tax your brain? sudoku, DS brain trainer, puzzle games, scrabble... ect things like that? can you do paper work or office work where you are?

just reading all the pages and it seems your brain needs some exercise?

I think a contributing factor is that I am currently not working due to an injury and thus think there is no reason to wake up which is probably a major contributing factor to what has lead to this complete opposite sleeping rythem.

ur right, that will be the main reason, thats why u need to force urself to get up at a regular time everyday. set an alarm out of reach, preferably one that makes u get out of ur bed, but still close enough that its loud enough to wake u.

Yep I f**ked up again, its 5:30am...and I am awake...just about to go to bed..

At the very least I won the poker tournament tonight,,,today??

winner.jpg

Perhaps thats where the night owl wins...sharp mind while all other are deperate for sleep...

*greens indicate $2500, black is $1000, blue $500*

I won...SNAP....but guess what, I bet they all got a better nights sleep than me...thats ok..I walked away with real money.

If thats real money , I wouldnt care if I didnt sleep at all lol ......Well done on the win Koguchi , Im still awake , after getting up at 3:30 yesterday , ive been for a surf , a drive in the hills , another swin at the beach , and slipped one to the GF twice the suns up and my head says I have to work , even though I dont have to :(

red wine, the $5.95/bottle variety does wonders :thumbsup:

I find that I need to have at least a couple of hours chill out before going to bed. By this I mean, whatever you do for relaxation. TV, books, internet forums etc. Try to avoid deep meaningful conversations, and doing anything physical in this time, as these often re-energise you, which isn't what you need immediately before bed.

If you feel stressed about a problem you are facing, then write it down before you go to bed and depending on what you wrote, you can either throw it away straight away or keep it till you wake up. By writing it down, you are releasing it from your immediate thoughts. You can almost feel the relief once you start writing.

Also stop worrying about whether you get enough sleep or not. As long as the body is rested, it doesn't matter if you get 2 hours sleep a day or 10 hours. It is quite normal to have days where you just can't sleep for whatever reason, and as long as you don't stress about it, you will feel fine the next day.

If your body clock has adjusted, then take it as a sign that life has changed for you. Find activities that you can do during the hours that you would have normally slept. Perhaps take up a night shift job if you are desperate. There is an ever increasing number of people that claim that they are "nocturnal". While it may not be the lifestyle you are looking for at this stage, you may grow to like sleeping during the day, and staying awake at night.

Whatever the case, you have the ability within you to get over this challenge. I Wish you well in your quest for good sleep.

I crashed and burned hardcore last night.

I ended up in the MH ward at caboolture hospital, major depression episode they called it...I have been awake for 30 hours straight now.

what a rip off...win poker, come home, lose plot, end up in mh ward...how the hell did that happen..

Hopefully i can go to sleep without tablets or alcopops.

I had the same problem at the start of the year, was given diazapam to get to sleep, and then got my hands on xanax knocked me out within 15 minutes but DONT go this route, trying to sleep without them is HELL and yer u get the 30 hour no sleep shit i just drank heavily till i was out cold, got my hands on this stuff from the chemist called nervatona calm, drank it for a week and it put me right back to normal dont even need a script for this stuff worked wonders for me. Read through the thread properly this stuff helps with anxiety to i was getting it after a traumatic event and this helped me get rid of it, anxiety sux balls wouldnt wish it on anyone worst feeling ever

ok so I did the 30 hour stint..shit happend..anyway..

managed to be asleep at around 10pm last night, pulled myself out of bed by 6:30am with the help of my missus...

I feel like balls, but hopefully I can be asleep at around 9/10 tonight and if im lucky wake up again same time tomorrow and get this shit happening properly.

feel pretty friggen shithouse.. physically and mentally.

ok so I did the 30 hour stint..shit happend..anyway..

managed to be asleep at around 10pm last night, pulled myself out of bed by 6:30am with the help of my missus...

I feel like balls, but hopefully I can be asleep at around 9/10 tonight and if im lucky wake up again same time tomorrow and get this shit happening properly.

feel pretty friggen shithouse.. physically and mentally.

dont put pressure on urself to go to sleep at that time, its a big step, and the more pressure u put on urself, the harder it will be to sleep. just keep getting up at 6:30 and ur sleep pattern will slowly pull itself into shape.

In my opinion, STOP thinking about sleeping. If i'm struggling to sleep i instantly put a movie on or something to take my mind off of not being able to sleep, if you catch my drift lol.

In my opinion, STOP thinking about sleeping. If i'm struggling to sleep i instantly put a movie on or something to take my mind off of not being able to sleep, if you catch my drift lol.

ur right, but at the same time, movies and TV in general winds ur mind up a bit anyway, stuff like reading n shit is much better for getting u ready for bed, its about the only time i ever read car magazines anymore lol

I'm the opposite, i can easily fall asleep with a move in the background, i actually find reading more mentally stimulating lol, i find it hard to stop reading once i start.

I'm the opposite, i can easily fall asleep with a move in the background, i actually find reading more mentally stimulating lol, i find it hard to stop reading once i start.

haha fair enough.

My partner is like that, she falls asleep waaaay to easy...can be in the middle of the best part of a movie, I will look accross at her....zzZzZzzzZ wtf!