Sign in to follow this  
--Steve

So Where To Go From Here..

at least you earnt it and feel as if it is only yours :)

S13s are going on 20 years old now, and you wonder why your dad won't let you buy one.

S13s are going on 20 years old now, and you wonder why your dad won't let you buy one.

your point?

your point?

Older cars, that may not have been looked after by every owner often need more money spent on maintenance (and when you are talking an s13

your point?

Older cars, that may not have been looked after by every owner often need more money spent on maintenance (and when you are talking an s13

yeah i was considering that.. that is why i was leaning toward a 180sx...think insurance will kill me though?

if you have the money you say you have, i say get an s15

you can pick them up for like what 15k if you shop around?

and you're getting something that will last you ages and has all the benefits of technological and design progress

plus, if you wait a bit, you can buy a turbo one

i can drive a turbo in SA either way :) yeah i might have a think about that. For now i am pleased driving dads Maxima around getting a decent feel for the road, even though the fwd feels like a shopping trolley compared to my old awd scooby

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Morning everyone :)

so after doing some preliminary research and looking at some insurance quotes...i was almost shocked. How much are you guys that are under 21 paying for insurance p.a if you dont mind me asking. Ballpark figures would be good :)

who have you called so far? are you looking for full comp?

im paying 800 p.a. for full comp (19 years old) for a sr20det silvia. this is with Just Car. excess it very high though, so im looking for another company to co with come renewal time or adjust my current policy

ok, I was with RAA with the subaru, and since i have already had a claim i fear ill get done hard if i buy a turbo silvia/180..

just basically done online quotes with RAA, BudgetDirect and JustCar. My excess just went up by around $1000 because i wrote my car off :wacko: thanks dad for paying that shit

yeh, thats never going to look good, especialy if you were at fault.

has there been much differences between quotes with the differen companies?

well i was quoted around $2000 per year with JustCar.... which cant be right... budget direct and raa basically told me to f**k off :D

S14?

It's AUD car so you can tell your dad it's not an import?

never really liked them but could consider it... They look pretty tough if done right. Thanks Skidder :)

you say you have 40 grand of your own but your dad is still paying your excess?

in the words of pauline hanson. pleaaaaase exploooooiiiiiiinnn

dad knows i have worked hard for the money and would rather i save it...if it was up to me i would be happy to..

dad knows i have worked hard for the money and would rather i save it...

lol, wtf... everyone has worked hard for their money, except the rest of us have to pay for our own expenses... i'd be almost a millionaire by now if i left all my "hard earned" money on my bank account and my parents paid all my expenses... lets face it, youre still a spoiled kid with rich parents so just take what your dad gives you and wait till youre old enough to move out, take care of yourself and then buy an import

dad knows i have worked hard for the money and would rather i save it...if it was up to me i would be happy to..

everyone works hard for their money yet they dont have people pay for their expenses....

lol, wtf... everyone has worked hard for their money, except the rest of us have to pay for our own expenses... i'd be almost a millionaire by now if i left all my "hard earned" money on my bank account and my parents paid all my expenses... lets face it, youre still a spoiled kid with rich parents so just take what your dad gives you and wait till youre old enough to move out, take care of yourself and then buy an import

yeah thats how i feel, i have told them numerous times they dont have to provide for me but they insist...im sure you'd take a free handout at 17 years of age. It is not like that man, i dont want to take what my dad gives me, i want to feel as if i have earned it hence why i am driving their car around until i am 18 then going out into the big bad world and buying my own car. this will give me more time to get some decent driving experience before hopping behind the wheel of an import. I know where you are coming from and i understand how you feel, but it is just the decisions my parents have made to be there throughout my life and support me. it's not as if im prancing around saying "Daddys gonna buy me a new M3 coz i crashed the old lambo we had.."

Thanks for the input man :)

im feeling jibbed

im paying over 800 for 3rd party :bandaid:

i was quoted like 3300 for full

figured its crazy seeing as id be paying the car off again in 2.5 of that

No problemo, check out locky, blingcommander and dean on member build ups, they know how to make s14s look nice :thumbsup:

yeah thats how i feel, i have told them numerous times they dont have to provide for me but they insist...im sure you'd take a free handout at 17 years of age. It is not like that man, i dont want to take what my dad gives me, i want to feel as if i have earned it hence why i am driving their car around until i am 18 then going out into the big bad world and buying my own car. this will give me more time to get some decent driving experience before hopping behind the wheel of an import. I know where you are coming from and i understand how you feel, but it is just the decisions my parents have made to be there throughout my life and support me. it's not as if im prancing around saying "Daddys gonna buy me a new M3 coz i crashed the old lambo we had.."

Thanks for the input man smile.gif

see im a little the same, thats why im a little reluctant to talk about money with people, because a lot of people instantly think that im spoilt. but its not like that at all.

sure a lot of people get it hard and have little help, others work hard for their cash. just because someones parents are willing to help to pay for expenses doesnt make them spoylt

my parents try and help me out when they can, and before the split, they happily payed for my insurance and filled my tank every now and then and also took care of repairs. this is souly because i was studying at the time and wasnt able to work too much.

as far as i can see, Steve isnt being spoylt. he has saved his money, he is going to buy the car he wants and his dad is going to help him with insurance. he is respecting his dads wishes by choosing a car that they can both feel is suitable, and in return, his dad is helping with expenses

this is just how i see it, correct me if im wrong

thanks to all of you and thankyou jizzy for understanding the situation..Ill check out their cars Skidder, cheers for that :)

yeah i'd never really been a fan of 14s either, but a few rides here, bit of looking around, n i've come to really like them

add a lux front lip, aggressive wheels, n lower it, n they look so mean

could be a viable middle ground for you if you start to warm up to them

and in the end, i've heard they're a world ahead of the 13 in terms of chassis rigidity and stability from standard

i get the situation you're in with your dad, n him not wanting you to get an import, gf's parents didn't want her getting anything much quicker n bigger than a astra sorta sized hatchback, n they only really think that to keep you a bit safer while you're still learning in the early years of driving solo

can always go n get something nice after a while, n 15s will be cheaper by then

The cars i'd be looking at in the 10-15k range are:

-accord euro

-lexus is200

-s14/15

-toyota chaser (auto)

Personally, i'm definitely going for the euro for my next car. It is newer, more reliable and much nicer on the inside than any of the other options in the price range. However I've already had a few turbo cars and I'm over them so you may be different.

Also, I appreciate you worked hard for that money and only want to spend a small portion of it on a car, but keep in mind a 20 year old car might have a low initial cost but the running cost is high. For an extra 3-5 grand you can get a car half the age with a higher resale value and lower running cost.

Also all you guys saying he's spoilt are just jealous because you're 5 yrs older and in debt for ur cars :P

Give the guy a break I'm impressed with his initiative.