Sign in to follow this  
namsdrawkcaB

The 'ULTIMATE TYRE" thread!

SOO....

This will be a thread a referance for anybody needing new tyres. Please use the template to make it easier for all to read :thumbsup:

Brand:

Type:

Your style of riding:

Score out of 10:

Additional comments:

Brand: Dunlop

Type: SportsMAX Roadsmart

Your style of riding: Twisties 75% comuting 25%

Score out of 10: Wet 5 - Dry 8 - Corners 6

Additional comments:

These were on the bike when I brought it. I would never buy again. They are a DUAL compund tyre, meaning its harder in the centre (for riding to work) and softer on the outside for corners. I think these would suit some body that rides 50/50 hills and straight.

The reasons that I dont like them are:

*They take to long to warm up.

*Even when warm, they do not offer my riding style enough traction on harpins.

*I just dont like them :P I just dont like the feel of them. I do not feel as confident on them as I did on my pilots.

The reasons Id recommend them:

*Good for intermediate riders who still use their bike for comuting.

*Wont get flat spots as fast as single compund tyres.

Brand:[/b]Dunlop

Type:Arrowmax

Your style of riding:maybe 50/50 or so?

Score out of 10:4/10 6/10

Additional comments:not much of a fan. a fair few riders dont like them either. i know there has to be better feeling tyres out there but im still learning and not doing much crazy stuff yet so until then i think i will stay on these because they are still pretty new on the bike.

edit: run them at the right psi :rolleyes: . i had them at what the dealer gave them to me at, but i put them up to what they are supposed to be and holy shit it handles a shitload better.

I ride a motard, tyre is:

Type: Sportmax GPR10

Your style of riding: 80% hills 20% road

Score out of 10: this is only the second tyre ive had on my bike, but 9/10 - sticks like shit to a blanket

Additional comments: Most guys ive spoken to are only getting a 1000km out of this tyre, but thats on motards, so a bit of sliding is involved :ph34r:

having said that its one of the only tyres out there that heats up quick enough on such a small bike

Brand: Pirelli

Type: Super Corsa

Your style of riding: Track days/racing 10% / Hills 60% / City 30%

Score out of 10: Wet 6 / Dry 10

Additional comments:

These are the best tyres I have ever used on the track. Too bad they don't make them anymore. They are slick on the sides, meaning not so good in the wet. But in the dry they grip and grip (especially the SC1 - soft compound). I find I can control the slide on the bike, without risk of highsiding. Used these tyres on my race bikes and road bikes.

*Not suitable for the wet

*Excellent grip ... controllable grip

Brand: Michelin

Type: Pilot Power

Your style of riding: Track days/racing 10% / Hills 60% / City 30%

Score out of 10: Wet 8 / Dry 8

Additional comments:

These are the best tyres I have ever used on the road ... love them. Not my fav for track tho ... but excellent grip in the wet on the street. Used these tyres on my race bikes and road bikes.

*Rubbish for trackdays. You push these tyres and they let go with no warning, no control over loss of traction.

*One of the best street tyres.

Type: Qualifier

Your style of riding: Hills 60% / City 40%

Score out of 10: Wet 8 / Dry 9 (subject to change - I've only just started using these tyres)

Additional comments:

I've just had these new tyres fitted to my TL1000R after so much raving. I'm keen to hit the track soon to push them a bit for a better evaluation.

*Makes the bike feel unstable (wobbly) at lower speeds.

*You look at the corner and the tyres get the bike leaning into them. Yet to test grip levels and control.

Type: GPR70

Your style of riding: Track days 100%

Score out of 10: Wet 8 / Dry 10

Additional comments:

These tyres are fitted to my Aprilia RS250 race bike. Not used yet on the street.

*When you lose grip, its sudden and without warning ... no control over loss of grip.

*When they stick the stick very well. On a bike like an RS250 they'll grip all day as long as you're not trail braking hard.

don't think that Dunlop make the Rideen GPR70 anymore, just the Sportsmax GPR10 which is not available in race compounds. and i have a pair of GPR10's, 120x17 and 160x17 that have done about 100kms for $150 if anyone wants.

Brand: Pirelli / Metzler

Type: SuperCorsa (same tyre as the Metzler Rennsport, made in a different factory)

Your style of riding: race

Score out of 10: 10/10

Additional comments: for a treaded agressive road or race tyre these are the best. there are 3 different race compounds available from the soft SC1 (RS1) to hardish race SC3 (RS3), there's even a SC-0 qualifier now. for short distance races where you need to be 100% from the 1st corner i've found these were tops. i've had to stop using them as they no longer sell the SC 160x17" rears in Aus.

Brand: Bridgestone

Type: 016

Your style of riding: 80% commuting, 20% hard hill riding

Score out of 10: Dry 8/10 Wet 7/10

Additional comments:

Tyres are Great, couldn't find fault with them until heavy breaking. They have a tendency to loose traction but re-grip very quickly.

In the wet they aren't the best, but what bike tires are?

Was able to have the bike fully tipped over and had plenty of confidence with these.

New tires in a week, trying the Bridgestone 003RS... will be good to see what the bigger brother can do!

<br><br><strong class="bbc"></strong><br>

<strong class="bbc"><br></strong><br>

Edited by penguin14

OK so keep in mind, I ride a cbr250 until i take the stupid bloody test for my opens...... I don't know how it works in other states but there are two tests in QLD

Type: Battlax T45r

Style of riding: 90% commuting 10% hills - lets be reasonable there are no hills/twisties in townsville

Wet Score: 8/10

Dry Score: 9/10

Additional Comments: These are dual compound, and will explode at decent speeds - 270kph ish i believe. Being on the 250 though, the fastest ive ever had it was 160 downhill with a tailwind.

Type: 003rs

Your style of riding: 20% commuting, 80% hill riding

Score out of 10: Dry 8/10 Wet 10/10 In a straight line 4/10 under cornering.

These tyre's are incredible, the amount of traction is unbelievable. Definately recommend these tyres!

Type: Battlax T45r

did you mean bt45?

Anyone tried the Metzeler Racetech? I'm thinking of getting them for the upcoming ride day at Mac Park.

Anyone tried the Metzeler Racetech? I'm thinking of getting them for the upcoming ride day at Mac Park.

A little late with the reply but, Racetec's are an awesome tyre, I'm on my second set and can't fault them. Not a wet weather tyre though.

Brand:Continental

Type:Sport attack2

Your style of riding:20%street /70%hills /10%track

Score out of 10:8

Additional comments: Hard to fault really, quick warm up felt good on wet roads & put up with track abuse no problem.

Brand:pirelli

Type:Super corsa's tc1 Front & tc2 rear

Your style of riding:20%street /30%hills /50%track

Score out of 10, 10

Additional comments: These tyres are amazing the level of grip is crazy at the track & onspirited road rides, warm up on both road & track was quick enough, not for wet weather riding they may be fine but i certainly didnt feel comfortable on them.

Only got about 2500klm out of them but there was 3 track days in that & I'm giving the tyres a hiding now.