Sign in to follow this  
namsdrawkcaB

How low can you go?

Ok, For the love of gaz, here is the thread....

Rules-

1. You cannot rip on somebody if they have chicken stips - Unless you have put a pic up.

2. Must be a picture of your tyre - or a mates worth repping.

3. Massive NEG reps if you google image a tyre, and say your an awesome mountain worrior :whack:

4. Every ht.net rider should post in here, even if they have stips. You may not be a twisty guy, and if you are, you can refer back to this thread in 6 months to see how you've impoved....

This is ment to be a bit of fun, lets keep it that way :beer:

Anyway, heres my back tyre. Notice the .25mm lip of rubber on the top of the tyre wall :P

IMG_0656.JPG

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa. I can feel the love :beer: How low can you go, I like it!!

Cheers for kicking it off. Top effort there.

Here is my rear tyre, it's a Pilot Road 2CT

chickenstrips1.jpg

chickenstrips4.jpg

Bad light as I just got home from a night run in the twisty's

Well if no one else is gonna post pics, I'll go again.

chickenstrips5.jpg

Day time style.

Ok, the weather is still oooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkish, ok enough for my sweepers to be dry anyway. So thing i should go get rid of those shiny(er) spots of my tyre That ive gotton from riding to work :(

Gaz, can you get your knee down?

I'm not far off it. I'm hesitant though as I need some leather pants. When I slip a cheek off my seat and hang off it, I feel like I'm gonna drag a knee for sure.

I should just harden up and drag the bitch as the pants I do use have knee pads.

Yeh, I have leathers (RST's), but they are SO restricting and cannot get my knee down in them. Iconly go hard in leather, but i can get my knee down in jeans.

Done 120kms just then, mountian was soaked, but the sweepers at the bottom were ok. only got my toes down on 2 corners though, it was rather leafy. Cant wait for the weather to clear up again.

IMG_07361.JPG

IMG_07371.JPG

Cmon guys, get some pics up.

^^^ That's the shit. Looks like it's just you and me :rolleyes:

Maybe you should start a " show us you house brick rear tyre" for all the commuters and high way style riders. lol

Edit - Those peg feelers are huge hahaha, might just look big in the pics.

Nar, they are massive............ 32mm.

When the bike is upright, the bottom of the feeler is 365mm off the road.

What do you have between the bottom and road gaz?

I'll go measure, hang on.........

Edit - My left one is shorter than the right one.

Left one is 360mm and right is 355mm.

hey guys im just getting into bikes.

what am i looking at? lol :huh:

Haha, this might be why nobody has put any other pics up yet :P

Ok, "Chicken strips" refers to a section of a riders tyre, that DOESNT get ridden on, because they are too "chicken" to lean it over.

Picture of chicken strip (taken from Google):

chicken stip medium.jpg

Notice how their is over an inch on the outside of the tyre that hasnt been ridden on? - these are "chicken strips" This means that he dosent use the whole tyre thus not leaning the bike over and getting "low"

The other tyre killer you will see is a "Flat spot"

Taken from google:

flat spot.jpg

Now in the middle of this tyre, you can see a 50mm falt spot. This means 1 main thing. He doesnt ride in the hills much - if at all, he would just ride to work or up and down highways. He also would most likely have the wrong compound tyre. You want slick-semi slick for track - soft for hills - medium to hard for comuting. The harder the tyre, the less grip you get as a general rule, but we wont get into this now.

P.s, my brother got pilot powers for comuting, he ended up with a 120mm "flat spot" on the rear. I found it HORRIBLE to ride.

If you now refer back to Gaz and my photos, in my 1st picture, you can see a bit of a shine. Even though that tyre gets ridden to the edge, i commuted on it a few times. Then my second photo (and gaz's)after a proper ride in the hills, the tyre looks the same all over, meaning we put the bike over as far as the tyre will let us, and get "low"

Hope this massive post explains wtf we are going on about for those that didnt know :thumbsup:

So, dont be scared, chuck them up.

Haha, this might be why nobody has put any other pics up yet :P

I think your right hahahaha.

Good post by the way. Sums it up well.

Ok, "Chicken strips" refers to a section of a riders tyre, that DOESNT get ridden on.

i was wondering why theyre called "Chicken strips"... i was thinking about the food before i clicked :lol: its chicken as in scared.

my tyres are still pretty new, they still have the little bits hanging off them.

my tyres are still pretty new, they still have the little bits hanging off them.

Well, lets see em!! Get some pics up :yes:

Come on People ...

PICS

PICS

PICS

PICS

PICS

PICS

PICS

My rear currently. Tyre is about ~1000km old. Can't really see any definition yet?

Never been into the hills, not too keen yet, only been riding for ~8 months

SNC00101.jpg

Good work. Another pic for the thread :quagmire: . Looks about the same size as the sample pic Nams put up..an inch or so.

Just hard to see :)

Majority of my riding it to and from work up the Expressway. A lot of the roads around my work(Edwardstown) and home (Noarlunga Downs) are fairly average, rocks and stuff scattered around. Don't really trust getting too low.

And I don't have any decent pants either, I wear shorts half the time(always wear my jacket) :Angel:

Shorts............................................................................................................ :no: :no: :no:

Yeah I know, I really need to invest in some good pants.

I wear Jeans sometimes, but I get lazy and don't change n stuff.

Well, lets see em!! Get some pics up :yes:

here ya go then

P9020026a.jpg

Cheers! I love the white rims too!!!!

Edit - I was cruising home from work yesterday and I came across an 07' model of my bike...

we went the same way for about 10mins, I notice the poor guy had the biggest flat spots! :lol:

He had suit pants, dress shoes and a good jacket. I'm guessing commuting only :whack:

You don't need to be right on the edge of your tyre to have your knee on the ground. Pushing the bike away from you (standing it up) whilst hanging off it will help you get your knee on the ground without washing out.

Just leaning the bike over more isn't going to make you a faster rider.

You don't need to be right on the edge of your tyre to have your knee on the ground. Pushing the bike away from you (standing it up) whilst hanging off it will help you get your knee on the ground without washing out.

Just leaning the bike over more isn't going to make you a faster rider.

Whist you are 100% correct my friend, in the sence you do not have to lay the bike all the way over to get your knee on the ground, this thread is more about tyre wear, and how much of the tyre you use.

We will save riding techniques for another thread, where all will be explained :thumbsup:

Thanks for your valid point though!

this thread is more about tyre wear, and how much of the tyre you use.

What I'd be concerned about with using right up to the ragged edge is what safety margin have you left yourself?

You've got it hung all the way over to the edge, and theres a slick of oil, or a wet manhole, or god knows what else on the roads, because, lets face it, our roads are f**king horrible. The bike slips 10cm away from the apex and continues to lean over... but has no more tyre to contact the road. :S

I'd rather have an inch or two, still get where I'm going, and have the safety margin to back it up. But that's just me.

No point putting my tyre up, I've had the new bike for 2 days.

Fair point you also make.

But

the road is NOT a race track, and should be treated with cation. I cannot say that I'm not a spirited rider, but I would advise everybody that is going to ride with pace to KNOW YOUR ROAD. I ride my hardest on the same strech of road, everytime. I do a caution run the same day to look for any nastys.

Anyway, enough chit chat - go to the chit chat thread you hijacking bums :P

I do a caution run the same day to look for any nastys.

Good tip. If you're going to do it, atleast know what you're up against.

Anyway, enough chit chat - go to the chit chat thread you hijacking bums :P

Touche

Bah dont have pics of my tyre but managed to get my knee down on the weekend for the first time. Wet mountain, meant I accidently found a dry massive round about with no one about.

What I'd be concerned about with using right up to the ragged edge is what safety margin have you left yourself?

You can ride right to the edge of your tyre and it be far from the "ragged edge" you speak of ;)

Being smooth with all imput to the bike is very, very important and helps alot when coming across

the unexpected. I came across a possum in my lane Friday night last week while in the hills hahaha

I still avoided the little guy with out any trouble.

You can ride right to the edge of your tyre and it be far from the "ragged edge" you speak of ;)

Being smooth with all imput to the bike is very, very important and helps alot when coming across

the unexpected. I came across a possum in my lane Friday night last week while in the hills hahaha

I still avoided the little guy with out any trouble.

Well, despite me still thinking that being smooth is not going to help much when you're leaned over to the edge of the tyre and hit oil, best of luck with that.

Stay safe. :thumbsup:

Being smooth isn't gonna help much :lol: ....yeah right, so if you come across something unexpected just freak out and jump on the picks???

Yeah that will get ya far. Sounds like to me you should of bought a scooter :P Or stayed a cager :whistle: