Sign in to follow this  
YunG<>BuK

selling your car and crazy low balling buyers stories

when i sold my last S13 bloke rang up and drove 4 hours to come and see my car. i had it advertised for 12k.

so he test drives it and is all happy and in the end goes "ok ill give ya 11k, no more for it"

so i told him straight out that he must have drove 4 hours for a reason, because there were no good cars around his area, i said enjoy your 4 hour drive home mate your not getting my car for 11k. i advertised 12k im taking 12k. then i kinda kicked him when he was down by saying that if he was from around the corner i woulda sold it to him for 11, but i KNEW he had the full amount, that he wasnt going to drive 4 hours 1k short of what i was asking.

so he was like "Well played my friend" and his wife reached in her pocket and pulled out the last 1000 bucks and took the car for 12k :thumbsup:

i kinda low balled a old bloke for my S15 too when i got it. it was stock as a rock 1 owner the dude was 65, and had it up for 24k and he was firm on price. i went there saw the car, talked abit, telling him im a silvia nut and id appreciate the car alot more than some random, as ive owned 3 before, even showed him pics of my old cars etc, LOL so he says yeah id rather sell it to an enthusiast.

i said straight up mate i like your car but best i can do is 21k, take it or leave it, im looking at another one tomorrow that is advertised for 21k and it has exhaust, coilovers and a few bits and pieces that id have to do to yours anyway as his was stock.

didnt expect him to crack but he did and i snatched it for 21k, it had only been in the paper for 1 day too i was the 1st person to see it so it wasnt like he was desperate to sell either. :shades:

had a heap of offers on my s14 when i was selling that. i specified in the thread that i wanted something light like an mx5, and of course that means an old ute and an r33 with chromies. had the usual offers of $2k under the asking price as well.

i'm almost willing to take stupid offers on the rotor, but only if i get a good job offer so i can free up some cash quickly and go overseas, since i know i'll be able to earn it back pretty quickly. i did have someone call about it after i advertised it on carsales for $10k, but i said that it had a few chips in the paint and there was an air vent missing in the interior, and he wanted to go down on price. if he had sounded like a nice guy i might have, but he sounded like a tosser and he called me at 7:15am so i didn't give a f**k

People giving low ball offers shits me, and someone people are just annoying.

^^ LAZY is a good seller, he even let me use his toilet lol

what happens if the buyer backs out of buying the car...can you keep there deposit???

I remember when a mate was selling his s13 on boostcruising some guy offered him a vl, a sidekick, a ps3 with assorted games and dvds and $500 cash.

With an asking price of $6000. He ended up asking what he was going to do for the other $5499. :lol:

i think its just become a viscous cycle. The seller expects a low ball offer and so he/she inflates their asking price.

a few years ago some guy wanted to buy my R33 GTS-T with about 10K worth of mods for $1800 LOL....some bogan from penrith......i told him my rims alone are worth more than that haha

^^LOL

had some p-platers try and buy my old 180 off me ages ago. alarm bells were ringing at this point, but the buyer didnt drive here so i didnt know he was on p's. after he test drove it up/down the street, he then asks me "can i take the turbo out?" my response was 'you're kidding right?' then i laughed. he knew where to go after that.

also had some fellas rock up to buy my dads corolla. all was sweet, got the amount we wanted, easy to deal with, etc. then he asks us as we were counting the money if he could have some money back for petrol and transfer names, etc. my dad's response: "NO" with a stern look. i couldnt hold it and lolled hard

^^^^^ money back for petrol and transfer HAHAHA

yeah as per other stories ive had people sms me for cars, not turn up, make offers with out seeing the item, ask 'whats the lowest you'll take'.... it goes on.

the best one I have had was a pair of 265/35/18 Continental Tyres which were 95% tread asking $270 for the pair. Brand new these cost that or more each. Indian bloke i drove half way to meet, he was 30minutes late... proceeded to get out a ruler and measure the tread depth saying that the tyres brand new had X.Xmm of tread and mine only had x.xmm. Then tried to bargain me on the price when it was non negotiable.

Told him I was meeting someone tomorrow if he did not buy them and thanked him for wasting my night.

^^ LAZY is a good seller, he even let me use his toilet lol

Not my place I dont live there lol

I can't even get low ball offers =[

hey mate i'll give you 15k.......lol

had some guy ring me at 6:30am after i put my HQ in the trading post. he wanted pics n shit so i emailed him at like 7am and then he goes "oh i was after something more original looking but the price seems good. whats your bank details so i can deposit $500 now and pay the other $500 when i pick it up." all i could say was "The f**k you on about? the ad says $10000. im goin back to bed" lol

i had another call later on from another dumbass who couldnt read the price. The price was printed fine but the next time they printed it i got them to put a comma in there :rolleyes:

we all have some crazy stories. one of my funnier ones was when i had an s14 up for sale and a bloke said he had 8k in cash in a bag and he would meet me at maccas in 30 min. i just hung up. i always hate when ppl ask for you lowest price. i always say make an offer and they get suprised when i tell them to stop been stupid when they offer me 2k under asking price. the only ppl worse then low ballers are test piolts. f**king wanna stab then arse holes

we all have some crazy stories. one of my funnier ones was when i had an s14 up for sale and a bloke said he had 8k in cash in a bag and he would meet me at maccas in 30 min. i just hung up. i always hate when ppl ask for you lowest price. i always say make an offer and they get suprised when i tell them to stop been stupid when they offer me 2k under asking price. the only ppl worse then low ballers are test piolts. f**king wanna stab then arse holes

I had one of test pilot on my 180 years ago and then told me afterwards he wants to buy a skyline? the f**k outta here with that bullshit

i got offered 2k for my 4 runner... i was asking 8 expecting people to tak 1k 1500 off... and this f**k head says hell pay 2k cash...

wow cash, i was defiently hoping you would pay by card so i could use my machine i keep in my back pocket you f**kwit.

i think its just become a viscous cycle. The seller expects a low ball offer and so he/she inflates their asking price.

Yep, this is the exact problem.

Some people over value their car, some people dont. In the end, everyone is afraid to get ripped off. So some people put the price up so if they do get low balled at least they arent losing as much. And the people who did get low balled continue to low ball others as it happened to them. In the end, the people who are genuine about the price, and genuine about buying it probably get screwed.

The reason why people think cash is better, is because it works for car dealers/shops/businesses. Paying in cash means they can not disclose it as their income and hence, pay no tax on it. Obviously it doesnt work for personal sales!

I think in the end, people need to be realistic about what they sell their items for. The absolute best thing to do is to do your market research, see how much the item is going for. In the end, if you can afford it you will buy it. Sometimes you may get lucky if the buyer is desperate. In any case, if you dont ask you wont know haha :P

It's the text messages I love - gutless little sh*ts too chicken to insult you to your face.

my story is similar to yours Cros13, my s14 was advertised for 9500 and it was the first day it was posted on carsales, similar story older bloke from pyrmont owned it, went and had a look at it, it had a hit on the front bar, claims his wife hit a trolley return, and that was it, series 2, stock as a rock, full log books only had 90 thousand k's on it too.\

so i offered him my lowest price i said "look man i love the car there is a few things i gotta do will you take 7g for it"

i expected him to decline and he goes "yeah mate deal"

i was trying so hard to hide my smile lol, and then he turns around and says the same story that keeps popping up, now keep in mind he was an older aussie bloke, turns around and says "im sick of all these ethnicks f**ks offering me 6g for it" i loled very hard, especially when he asked my name to spell on the rego transfer and he kinda ate his words lol

^^^lol your to hectic to pay asking prices :P

Do people not get that there not just wasting your time but there’s to

retards looking at cars knowing they cant afford them, its so f**king stupid

OMG! tried to buy a stock diff with half shafts off a guy wreaking an R32. The guy PM's me with this

"hey mate,

yes i have the diff: $220(on ebay going for $250+ postage)

as for the half shafts $180 (ebay going for $220+ postage)"

I told him I picked up a stock diff with half shafts for $150 yesterday morning (and I did! Thanks 180_chick :thumbsup: ) and said eBay is not the best place to compare prices!

$400 for a stock diff!!! :wtf1::rant:

A couple of years back when I was selling my Celsior (19 inch Work Rezax, TVs, wireless Xbox setup, blah blah) I had a guy offer me a 1986 Mitsubishi Pajero with 350,000 kms as a trade...

I thnk it is the type of buyer that imports attract. The only I've personally sold was to my mate for basically nothing, but I have bought a few and haven't paid full price. No steals, but I think in the end I paid a fair price and got a fairly good deal. The key is to be realistic and reasonable. What I can't believe is the people who talk price before they even have seen/driven the car...how ridiculous, how can you negotiate a price without anything to go on?

i was recently selling my civic, 7400 was asking price (a bit higher than most, because it had 110xxx 1 previous owner with log books), had rims, lowered on n1 springs, usdm tail lights, SRI, axle back 3a racing exhaust, guy calls me says he'll pay $3000 for the car stock and i had the luxury of keeping my mods, i then told him, what i was supposed to do with all the mods since i didn't want another honda, he said "oh can sell em easily bro post them up on ebay" then i said, "well since your asking 4400 less without the mods, y dont u buy it with mods and sell them on ebay yourself?" he goes "nah man i got no time for that, just need the car drive away no more hassles" so i go lol "well how u gunna drive it with no wheels, tail lights, intake, exhaust or springs?" he says in a full serious manner "oh man i thought u could buy the stock parts and chuck em on for me" i literally laughed and said "lol your kidding right, 4000 under my asking price and u want me 2 spend +$500 on getting stock parts?" and he just pauses and goes "...yeh man could u do it" and i just go "no." and he goes "oh alryt, i'll call u back then" and i just hang up, needless 2 say i never got a call back lol and 2 days later i sell it for 6900 and i got to keep tail lights and intake (he bought stock parts himself)!

I was trying to sell a turbo on here.

Had a few people interested. One guy was messaging me saying yeah he is really keen on it and will be round tonight to look at it.

Gets my address, says he will be there at 7. Never rocks up.

I message him, Never writes back.

Next day he messages me saying he had to work blah blah blah bullshit, but he will be round tonight to pick it up.

Again, wait, nothing. Doesnt answer calls or messages. Doesn't rock up.

He then for a 3rd day says that he will be around, but this time he tells me he needs his dad to come with him..... I loled at this point. But guess what. He doesnt rock up again.

Finally got a message saying his dad doesnt want him to drive a turbo car.....fffffffuuuuuuu

Seriously some people have no idea.

got offered $2k (asking price was $6500neg) for a onevia sr20de p platers dream car with headers/intake & exhaust (lol)

offered $4k (asking price was $8500neg) for a R32 4door RB25DE with coilovers, turbo brakes/diff, intake/strut braces (lol)

told them to ask their mummy for more dosh and then come back.

The CASH call is ok sometimes... I let people know im paying cash for cars cause then they know when i say ill give them a certain price im not going to turn around and say "now give me a week while i try and sort out finance."

I will low ball items especially on Boostcrusing, sometimes it works and you get a bargain. Though if there is something i need/want and the price is fare ill just pay it.

I was selling a 2005 Toyota Avensis on my uncle's behalf a few years back (still fairly new then with very low k's). Anyway we had it on carsales for $20,000 expecting people to lowball us by a couple of grand at the maximum....We got one guy rock up with his family to suss the car out, he kept saying he really liked it and commented on how clean the car was and he was probably going to buy it for our asking price etc. etc.. After he took it for a test drive he came back and offered us 8k for it PLUS the option to go to his brother-in-law's Toyota dealership to pick out a new or second hand car with the assurance that his brother-in-law would look after us. I lol'd and politely told him 'no'. He wasn't too happy and reckoned WE wasted HIS time. How's that for being a prick. lol.

Edited by Spirax