Sign in to follow this  
Simon-S14

Tyre Review thread.

I thought Nick Coulson was sponsored by Federal?

I'm keen to try 123's but i'm finding it difficult to get some in 16"

Also - has anyone used recent stock 595ss for steer? I might run some all round for Matsuri, but worried they grip will be poor. Would run 205/50r16 on 8" rims..

Cheers

Edited by sweefu

As far as I'm aware he is/was sposered by Federal..

But he was deffinately running 123's front and rear the other week..

Anyone here run on Hifly's before? Looking at getting them in 15's instead of Sunnitrac's.

Anyone here run on Hifly's before? Looking at getting them in 15's instead of Sunnitrac's.

Hiflys are awesome for a cheap tyre. consistent right until belts. Normally gets slippery then you get one more lap until they have wires poking through

Done one session on the hiflys so far. Feel pretty good, I think there better than the sunnitrac's :)

I had no luck with hiflys, found them quite slippery and they wear really quickly, make lots of smoke though : )

Anyone tried Autogrip F101's? Got a pair of 15's from the tyre shop today for $65 fitted each. Will post up how they go after Monday.

Cheapie 195/50/15 reports

Mayrun M8000 $52 lasts well, doesn't delaminate, massive smoke, suprisingly good in the wet - low grip in the dry

Sunitrac $55 didn't like them at all, no grip, not much smoke, delaminated

Rotalla F108 $56 Good grip (for a cheapie), lots of smoke, didn't delam - did wear fast though

was using rotalla f108 $70 in 215 45 17" had good grip but barely lasted a session with only 90rwkw

now using wanli s-1063 $75 in 215 45 17" last about 3 sesions grip is ok until you get down to the wear indicators then they have no grip

Thought I'd share this here too...

img0636um.jpg

From Stadium Drift Rd. 1 at Tailem Bend.

From top to Bottom, all 235/45/17 25psi cold.

- Brand new Evergreen - 10 laps - $160/pair - $16/lap

- 2nd hand Silverstone - 4 laps + 1.5 years as steer tyres

- Brand new Achilles ATR - 6 laps - $170/pair - $28.33/lap

- Brand new Achilles ATR2 - 8 laps - $190/pair - $23.75/lap

- Re-treads bought at the track - 6 laps - $110/pair - $18.33/lap

Car has 300kw and I was using 3rd gear all day.

I'm trying out some different brands next time (Maxxis and Kenda), searching for the best $/lap as well as performance. Evergreen is winning at the moment.

Edited by RxDrift

The $ per lap is a good idea.

I'm wondering about 123's at the moment. I'm running a pretty basic setup with an SR 180sx running around 190rwkw. Want to run 205/40 123 front but want to try and keep the car as balanced as possible. Is the car going to be capable of turning the same size 123 on the back aswell? It's obviously a small tyre but seems a really grippy tyre also. I would just try a pair but ill need to sell my wheels and get sizes to accommodate that size tyre.

Cheers

Tyre TOYO R888

Price $200ea

Size used 275-45-17/ 245-45-17

PSI run 24psi cold

Review - Awesome grip once you get them warm, good grip cold. you will not get these warm if your not committed. So V8 supercar style swerving on warm up lap plus lots of hard stops is needed.

Wear - Still going strong with around 60% left after 6 Hard hot track days tyres have covered around 500km

Tyre Falken 452

Price stupid money

Size used; as above

PSI run 32psi

Review - Great grip in wet and dry, very soft tyre and chopped out in the inside edge after not very long due to camber and toe Wear -Back awesomely front lasted 6000km's

Tyre Achilles ATR Sport 1

Price $89ea

Size used 235-45-17

PSI run 28-30psi

Review - have found these very grippy in the wet with little under steer. when drifting they provide good rear grip and come back into line predictably when dropping throttle and offer good control. I know people have said that these are prone to de lam when drifting but what pressures were these people using? if you use 40psi then flog a tyre its going to over heat and delam. use the correct pressures and your fine

Wear - have had people getting 8 hours drifting out of these depends on your right foot. no idea about on the street as I only use them in the drift car.

Has anyone used Rapid's?

I use them on my daily but not sure how they would go drifting.

does anyone else get a lot of road noise with Achilles ??

• Downvote 1

well since this is the drift section and most people are using these tyres for drift i doubt anyone cares.

but yes.. atr sports are noisy on the road.. most cheap tyres are

The New ATR Sports2 (Drift) & (Race) tyres are grippy as hell. ^^^^ That's about right Simon, Drifters burn them before they have a chance to make any noise apart from Ahhhhhhhhh F%^k

Edited by BLOWN V8

The New ATR Sports2 (Drift) & (Race) tyres are grippy as hell. ^^^^ That's about right Simon, Drifters burn them before they have a chance to make any noise apart from Ahhhhhhhhh F%^k

Because cheating rubber? hence Vicdrift banned them?

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried Unigrip Sportage?

I'm looking for some low-grip, cheap 215/45r17 and these are only $60 each.

Thinking about grabbing a pile of them, but unsure if they will fall to bits. Any info on them?

Cheers.

Tyre rules annoy me... It's like saying " bring the development cost of a V8 supercar down coz i wanna have a go!" All it has done is raise the bar and set a financial level people need to be at to compete for the win... Those of us competing for any other reason shouldn't care at all

123s 205 40 17 on the front 32psi

Hiflys 215 40 17 cold 30psi

I get about 4 trackdays on the 123s with flipping them once

And about 11 laps at tailem from a set of hiflys

240rwkw 1080kg car

Tyre rules annoy me... It's like saying " bring the development cost of a V8 supercar down coz i wanna have a go!" All it has done is raise the bar and set a financial level people need to be at to compete for the win... Those of us competing for any other reason shouldn't care at all

Interested to know if you still think that after seeing the close battles at Stadium Drift @ Tailems last weekend. A good course layout that promoted close battles and the tyre rule in place meant guys like Elliot couldn't simply drive away with more power, they had to steer their car well and earn it through close battles.

Streching my memory but isnt it a similar thing to in the twlight years of DA the toyo sponsered guys drifting on tyres that wernt even availble to the public and came in on special order

Similar to how the Achiliess are a really soft compound, but have really deep tread so there tread where is above that of most tyres classed as a 'semislick' if what Ive seen/been reading is correct.

All good that achilies are putting money and development into drift. But it is also a difference when those sponsored are getting them for $30 a tyre ( pulling a figure out of the air) compared to those paying retail for them in a low level comp.

I think Its a good idea for local/state level comps to have a tread wear/ban ruling on tyres so that they are more grass roots guys wanting to have a try at a basic comp level to develop the battling skill. To help promote the skill level overall compared to it just being solely on those that can afford it

Interested to know if you still think that after seeing the close battles at Stadium Drift @ Tailems last weekend. A good course layout that promoted close battles and the tyre rule in place meant guys like Elliot couldn't simply drive away with more power, they had to steer their car well and earn it through close battles.

You raise a great point but my comments were based on the adgp competition. I loved competing on a level playing field on the weekend and Tyre rules have their place in low budget competitions like state rounds but in the case of adgp where the entry fee is enough to set the financial benchmark, any Tyre should do.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm agreeing with you while sticking to my comment haha