Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

The modified/ aftermarket knuckle thread

^^like I said for $900 stock up with as much as you can cause that is the deal of the century :P

HEY MAN knuckles are pretty sweet

i got a set sitting here that i could sell for the right price

and 3up knuckles are (heyman knuckles ) just rebaged

Rebadged????????3UP and Hey man Knuckles are different, they both just do their own cut and reweld job in house????

no dude ,, when i stayed with shinji in 2007 he told me that he makes the 3up knuckles

he paints his silver and he paints the 3up 1s green

unless they started doing it themselfs ,,

why risk crashing your car, when you can just wire shinji $1,000AUD and he will send you knuckles air freighted ready to go, just specifiy what car you want, he also makes JZX,AE86 etc

Well 3up have obviosly started doin there own :)

Because at the end of the day $1000 is too much for most people to justify on a cut and shut job. If you have the measurements anyone who is qualified to do the job can do it for less than 1/10th the price.

and 3up knuckles are (heyman knuckles ) just rebaged

Mikami makes them himself. Their shop is about 20 minutes away from here and he does it there.

Thanks Bakadesu, i read your blog religiosly and love it :)

i bort some no name re manufactured s13 ones from japan have fitted them but not driven on yet, as jake said not much more lock but left to right lock is alot less tuurns of steering wheel

Thats were the LCA lock stop comes into play, you need to mod that to let it use the lock.

takurou_watanabe_knuckles_001.jpg

1209755380_2_FT2084_angletest2.jpg

1229735967_2_FT3658_dt1_.jpg

1229735967_2_FT3658_dt2_.jpg

DAMN! Where are the videos of these angles?!

Myself and a mate are making our own up, im doing the testing and he is doing the welding, basically we're playing around with our own angles and lengths. then he'll offer to do them from his workshop Garage 7 should people want at a reasonable price. we have made a jig up so they are the same on every one.

tig welding them + adding extra bracing, i dont want them to break!

have installed them but yet to drive... have got extra lock but as eddy said... quicker to lock to lock

I did a little interview with Takurou Watanabe, the guy in that blue 180SX on the noriyaro blog.

An update to that article is that he has since become a lot better at sticking it through the first corner at Nikko, and everyone watching just ends up grinning every time he goes past.

If somebody wants to donate a video camera to me over here, I'd be more than happy to use it and put videos up. ;)

interesting: i just read that article and looking at the pics of his knuckles looks likje they are so damn short! the tie rod ball joint bolt is almost at the hub! would be sooooo twitchy at speed lol. i was tempted to try this with the set of modded ones that we're doing, but i dont think it would suit a track like mallala. Although i wonder if you can back some of the toe out on the front to reduce the twitchyness, or even run a smidge of toe in?

also with his car, at the full lock position, look how much frontal tyre patch is on the track.... SFA!

^^big one is have you checked the mods to the chassis rails? and thats with tiny 16 x 8 rims aswell (enough of a pain that he has only done one side). plenty of lock but also plenty of fab work. Would be cool to see it in action though!

takurou_watanabe_knuckles_007.jpg

yeah well look at that ... goes against the convention that engine bay, esp the AFM right on the turbo like that.;

i see he's got overfenders, but wouldnt it be wiser again to go a little more offset to give even greater inner guard and rail clearance?

I did a little interview with Takurou Watanabe, the guy in that blue 180SX on the noriyaro blog.

An update to that article is that he has since become a lot better at sticking it through the first corner at Nikko, and everyone watching just ends up grinning every time he goes past.

If somebody wants to donate a video camera to me over here, I'd be more than happy to use it and put videos up. ;)

any AU$100-200 digital camera takes youtube quality videos.. :)

just how useful is the intercooler in this pic tho :P

should mount twin coolers hanging off the ends of the rear wing ala finkenstein..:)

^^big one is have you checked the mods to the chassis rails? and thats with tiny 16 x 8 rims aswell (enough of a pain that he has only done one side).

Yeah, that day was at a big event, so it was only a cursory look at the car.

The driver's side rail has had a trapezoidal section cut out of it. to clear the tyre.

Thanks, that would be great. Can I give you my address?

Thanks, that would be great. Can I give you my address?

I don't know. Can you? ^_^

Just in case you guys were concerned:

Many drifters have done it without experiencing any side effects such as death but install this part at your own risk.

Nimon,

Let me know how you and Decs go, he could just be on a very big winner ;)

Just in case you guys were concerned:

Many drifters have done it without experiencing any side effects such as death but install this part at your own risk.

Nimon,

Let me know how you and Decs go, he could just be on a very big winner ;)

i think so myself... his workmanship is pretty top notch! i look forward to attempting backwards entries with them haha

Well i thought i'd add my 2c into this thread...

I'm running the 326 power knuckles, and they're great!!! stacks more lock and a lot quicker transitions - definitely one of the best modifications i've done, especially to increase transistion speeds on the long cefiro!

Before i installed the knuckles i did a bit of research and liaising with laurence / streeter. The 'pre knuckle setup' consisted of s14 steering rack, standard LCA's, tie rod's, tie rod ends, knuckles. With this setup my 18x9 + 22 meisters on the front were flush with the 30mm overfenders but on full lock was only mm's away from the chassis rail. So i came to the understanding that if i want more lock, either going to have to change my wheels (wasn't going to happen) or increase the track.

I went about finding and buying the - 326 power knuckles (which were shortened, lowered, and ackerman angle changed), bolt on overfenders (to go ontop of the 30mm guards), bolt on spacers (30mm), KTS tie rod ends, NISMO lower control arms (increased track) and Supernow rack end spacer.

I started to fit it all up and i ran into the first problem - The tie rod's (standard cefiro) were too short! and would not reach the tie rod ends - I found a s14 steering rack with tie rods which i snapped up (to have a spare rack incase i busted it). I compared the a31 tie rods to the s14 ones, and the s14 ones were longer, so i fitted them up - this made a much better improvement with barely (but sufficient) thread for the tie rods to the ends.

After more discussions about alignments / setting up the alignment with the rack off centred etc... The decision was made that if we made up another rack end spacer which was the same total length, but didn't travel into the rack (driver's side smaller than passenger side for the amoung that it can travel inside before busting seals) we would be able to get a central, even alignment - so that regardless of turning left / right it was going to be equal where the ball joints on the tie rods are located.

Fitted it all up and i had the guards on and started to 'check out how wicked the lock was' - i was quite dissapointed initally LOL - but it was only because it didn't look like much due to the overfenders + bolt on flares! Removed these and found there was HEAPS!

I set it all up to that full lock means that it stops when the knuckles hits the stops on the LCA (not when the rack bottoms out). I did use a dremel to shave away the stops a little to maxmise the amount achievable from this setup

Also came to the conclusion that unless you are running IKEYA / Driftshop / similar LCA's you are not obtaining the maximum amount achievalbe from the knuckles - so money permitting i would like to get these to see just how much more is achievable...

I tested it at the track and was stoked with the results - copius amounts of lock - even to the point where i was certain i was spinning i was able to continue!

Well... that's all i can really think of for now... so enjoy the pics :)

-Matt

knuckle.JPG

fitted.JPG

lock1.JPG

lock5.JPG

G1RND3260.jpg

in my case i do coz i'm still 4 stud... S14 / 33 no good (under the assumption ball joints were different / no good for 4stud)

i'm pretty sure it's possible to make the lower ball joints fit huddy with very little work, by the looks of it to me (i have r33 lca/ball joint) its very slightly larger requiring slight filing/drilling :) . personally i'm waiting for someone to modify hubs in aus to buy (and most likely ill get s14) but for now i was going to get my std hubs re-drilled for 5 stud , i'll try the r33 ball joints in them when i pull them off and let you know how it goes :)

'anything' will fit... lol just depends how much work :P