Sign in to follow this  
silkishuge

Just a quick question regarding maintaining physique

Hi,

I find that between family commitments, work and other commitments, I have very little time to work out in a gym. I have been working out in a home gym for about a year, with an aim of just trying to build some strength. I have no intention of growing , but just maintaining my body shape and strength. I used to work out two to three times a week, but because of a change in job, I find I can only do it once a week on the weekend.

My body weight is between 69kg to 70kg. Height about 1.74m.

I used to work out in a gym many about 15 years ago so I picked up a number of exercises, unfortunately, I can't recall their names.

I spend about 1hr 45min working out. The regime about 8 different exercises in a form of two circuits to maximise my limited time. Is once a week sufficient for maintaining a healthy physique and strength.

Besides this, I do a fair bit of cycling of varying intensity. I find the upper body strength useful, while at the same time do not want to weigh too much.

Thanks,

Jon

Possibly the best thing you could do is powerclean & press. Spend an hour doing that once a week and you will be fine.

Another alternative is Snatch grip deadlift off blocks for a straight hour.

Option 3 is chins and dips.

If you really want strength you could just squat.

If your seriously hardcore, you just cant beat doing Judds, every muscle gets hit, but it is damn hard work.

Good luck John

so simple. yet so devastating to someone who has never attempted any of these...good luck pal

Possibly the best thing you could do is powerclean & press. Spend an hour doing that once a week and you will be fine.

Another alternative is Snatch grip deadlift off blocks for a straight hour.

Option 3 is chins and dips.

If you really want strength you could just squat.

If your seriously hardcore, you just cant beat doing Judds, every muscle gets hit, but it is damn hard work.

Good luck John

Thanks for the advice. I will do a search to find out the proper technique to d these exercises.

I tried chin ups, and found it to be a good workout, however, I am npt the young fellow I used to be and struggled to do more than 10 at a time. I remember a time when I could do 30 under a minute, and now I struggle to do even 10 proper ones. Perhaps, I have to concede that I will never be as fit as I was in my younger days.

Thanks again,

Jon

Perhaps, I have to concede that I will never be as fit as I was in my younger days.

Not true. Markos is in his 40s and he is stronger the I would say 75% of the forum. His brother also in his 40s is the strongest guy on here. Age doesn't play that big a part. Might be easier to achieve goals when younger (more testosterone) but certainly not impossible when you get older.

Perhaps, I have to concede that I will never be as fit as I was in my younger days.

Not true. Markos is in his 40s and he is stronger the I would say 75% of the forum. His brother also in his 40s is the strongest guy on here. Age doesn't play that big a part. Might be easier to achieve goals when younger (more testosterone) but certainly not impossible when you get older.

That being said, I would think that he could have been stronger in his late 20s? In terms of aerobic fitness, I know that I am certainly not what I used to be when I was younger. I can barely run 10kms under 37mins these days and a half marathon took me 1 hr 35mins which is way off my PB when I was younger. Maybe I need more time to recondition my body after much neglect. Thanks for the encouragement though. I am aware Marco is older than I and also probably an equal to Hercules.

Thanks,

Jon

Werent you a smoker jon?

That would have a huge impact on your fitness too

Unfortunately I was, but its surprising how much fitness can improve. I have not smoked for just over a year and I feel great. My advice to anyone still smoking is to quit and get fit!! You will feel so much better and I am so much more productive at work that I have more time to spend with my family. My main form of exercise is still running and cycling, about 30km and 550km a week respectively.

Jon

Settle down Jovi. At 46yo and 87.6kg, my best efforts at these lifts the last time I attempted them are

Close grip bench........130kg

Squat........................160kg

Military press..............90kg

Powerclean................105kg

Deadlift......................200kg

Chins...........................20

Dips.............................35

Superman pushups.......20kg

Now, all these lifts were done raw, your job is to find the 25% of lifters on this forum that can beat them. When my shoulder heals I will bench 150kg and military 100kg again, just for you Jovi. ;)

Awesome lifts for any age mate, being 21 years your junior and 10kgs heavier, I can say that you out do me in everything but the deadlift and dips :lol:

Settle down Jovi. At 46yo and 87.6kg, my best efforts at these lifts the last time I attempted them are

Close grip bench........130kg

Squat........................160kg

Military press..............90kg

Powerclean................105kg

Deadlift......................200kg

Chins...........................20

Dips.............................35

Superman pushups.......20kg

Now, all these lifts were done raw, your job is to find the 25% of lifters on this forum that can beat them. When my shoulder heals I will bench 150kg and military 100kg again, just for you Jovi. ;)

Nice......so you've done everything except close the 2's :lol:

I definitely cant close them consistently, only on odd occasions, so I guess that does mean I cant....but I have. I have wrecked a tendon in my finger during the storm a few weeks ago and can longer hang onto anything, no cleans, deads or chins.

And as far as 25% of members being stronger, I know of a guy half my age, 21kg heavier, juiced to the gills, who can only beat one of those lifts, only because I have had a stuffed knee for nearly a year.

There are only a handful of really strong guys on here, strong at EVERY lift, not just powerlifts.

And I think there are still only 4-5 guys military pressing bodyweight, after all this time, shame.

Jon, I was a bit stronger when I was younger, but only on some lifts, like bench and squat, injury has certainly stopped me from beating my younger PB's, not age. On deads and cleans, military presses and chins, I am stronger at 46 than I was at 26.

Dont make excuses about age.

My dad deadlifted 190kg and benched 135kg x 2 last year. He turns 60 this year lol.

Dont make excuses about age.

Thats what I was trying to get at. I might have gotten my figures a bit mixed up. Cross off 75% and chuck in 99%

I prey I can still be that strong in 15 years

The prick has set some high standards for me thats for sure.