Sign in to follow this  
the situation

what helmet you guys run?

Hey all,

Looking at doing some more track days and want my own helmet instead of renting track ones. Im leaning towards a open face just to help with air flow and field of view. Also they seem to be smaller, my head usually taps the trim on the roof with other helmets ive used. Im 181cms and drive a s14a.

What style/brand do you guys run and why? Good and bad points.

I went to MCA and they had a heap of nice open face ones but nothing that has the ANZ certification - they only had snell rated open face helmets (which is probably better but unfortunately a lot of tracks wont let you use anything without the sticker)

I ended up with a Rjays $99 full face helmet.

Yeh went there yesterday and the RJAYS STURGIS fit best of the cheap ones ($129). Not 100% sure if it had the right sticker tho.

it might. when i went they didnt have any open face once under $200.

Open face helps with passenger communication - no one wants to sit in with me :-)

Take the visor off a full face and ventilation/sunglasses solved plus have it for karts/bikes etc. I bought mine at a motorbike shop (compliance sorted) so could try fitment of quite a few. Plain colour = cheaper

Other things to think about Hans - but as you're starting out don't worry you're in for so much future expense that buying a new motorsport specific helmet pales in to insignificance even at their cost :-)

Closed is probably the way to go just so i get more use out if it at karting like you said.

Gena take the car down to the bike shop and see if theyl let me try some on sitting in the car...

I run a Bell Carbon Kevlar with HANS device, way way better than the motorbike helmet I used to run never had issues with fogging up, and heaps lighter :) The cost of these can be high but as someone mentioned it is cheap in the grand scheme of things when going to track.

I'm 181cm also running an s13 with fixed rails to get me as close to the floor as possible and my helmet still touches the padding on the cage every now and then.

I ended up getting a closed face AGV K3, i tried all the cheap ones and thy were to big externally. Got it for $180, more than i wanted to spend but it fits,looks and i fit in the car with it on way better than the cheapies.

Where abouts do you get one of the better quality helmets from?

can get them anywhere motorbikes are sold usually.

All bike helmets have to be Aussie approved to be sold in Oz, so you can use it anywhere without a worry.