Sign in to follow this  
jdmsilvia13

S13 Circuit Alignment/Tyre question

Hey guys, so my current situation is that I just wore out my rear 595rs-r's to wear indicators running a 255/225 in only 2000 street kms and one QR time attack, with 7x 7 lap sessions. For street semi's and from what other people say, I was expecting a lot more life. The wear is pretty even too across the tyre, but the passenger side is worn more than drivers side. The car does have a fair visible amount of rear toe in which I'm guessing is the culprit? I know people usually talk about toe wear as edge wear but is it possible that it can also greatly increase overall wear from constant scrubbing over itself?

With my new setup I'm moving to AD08R's so trying to sort this before I'm wrecking them in months.The size I was thinking of was a 255 all round, however given no stagger I would want to keep some rear toe in so I don't spin as I'm still a novice driver, but of course if this is killing my tyres then another option is to use a Hankook RS3 285 rear and 255 front AD08R to retain stagger however at greater cost and I've heard they dont last as long on track which is my main problem at the moment.

So TL;DR, I've searched for days and suprisingly havent found anything addressing this, does toe in cause dramatic overall wear increases? If toe is visible does that mean it's probably way too much?

Thanks guys any input is appreciated!

When was the last time you had alignment? That will defiantly tell you whats going in with your rear toe in

Also doing time attack @ QR will cause the passenger side to wear out quicker than the drivers side. After all most of the turns you make are right hand turns which puts more load on the passenger side.

Couple of pics of my car from the last time attack I did @ QR, you can see what am talking about with the weight transfer/load going onto the left side of the car

11885046_10153450072786294_7189250293690766298_o.jpg

11890444_10153450073816294_8957794174226204183_o.jpg

Edited by 180 wanabe

Thanks heaps for the reply mate, cool pics! even the front wheel looks like it's off the ground!

Wheel alignment was recent so the other day I ended up just straightening out my rear toe myself to be less exaggerated as it was very visible, its still slightly in now and feels much better than it did understeering like crazy at QR last time. But still has 255/225 staggered atm and I've ordered the 255 AD08R's all round because they were half price, I haven't been able to find anyone else running square sizes but hopefully it'll be ok and not too wild for me, only one way to find out I guess!

I've always run square sizes as my preference. It's hard enough getting the front to grip, might as well fill the guards! It also means you can rotate the tyres front to rear (even better if they're unidirectional and you can easily swap sides too) for better tyre wear.

I have always run square sizes like Neil, mainly for rotation purposes as R compound semis aren't exactly cheap!

Tyres on my car in those pics were super old Nitto NT01s 225 45 17 that had pretty much no tread left on them, still managed to pull a 58.25 on the sprint track. Would rather run a wider tyre but I picked up the set of rims/tyres 3 time attack sessions ago for $200 so no complaints!

What times were u running on the RSRs??

Good to know thanks guys! New wheels are 18x9.5 18x10.5 and on widebody guards, hence I was thinking 285 rear but have no idea whether it'd make a big difference, or it would be well into the area of diminishing returns in terms of width needing load because a stripped out rear of a 180 probably doesnt weigh much, and aero is limited to a GT wing.

Not to make excuses but I wouldn't say I've had a clean run for a number of reasons but I got 1:03 sprint and 1:06 clubman at maximum attack, the front tyres were p zero with the rear rsr lol, was a last minute entry and didnt have time to change from street tyres for it.

With the new tyres/proper sized fronts and full power next time I'm hoping for 59's sprint 1:02's clubman, hopefully it's got it in it.