Sign in to follow this  
James Borg

Sr running rich Masterace/tarago conversion

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted Some personal opinions on a little problem I am having.

I have just completed doing an SR20DET conversion into my 1988

Toyota Masterace/Tarago, And it seams to be running rich. you can slightly smell fuel and it pops/backfires occasionally, and when its driving you can feel it bog down on low end RPM under load. doesn't really happen at higher RPM.

Now the Motor is an S13/180sx redtop running the stock ECU.

Not running a BOV or EGR

and the current mods I am running are

S14 T28 Trubo

BA XR6 Intercooler

2.5 inch exhaust system with hiflow cat

Fat Type O2 Sensor

other then that everything is stock. Would the Reason its running rich be due to current mods it has installed especially the bigger turbo and exhaust diameter? would it be confusing the stock computer and pumping more fuel in? or do you think I have another problem?

also running rich shouldn't do any harm to the motor?

Till I get it tuned.

your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first SR so I am still learning the motor.

Cheers

nope. it shouldnt be running that rich with those mods. i would take a look at the air flow metre first and test that it works

please post pics of said conversion. sounds interesting

non of those mods should give it any drama, the ecu will compensate slightly for the boost increase with a bit of extra fuel

they run fairly ritch regardless with a little bit of popping fuel smell with a bigger exhaust / high flow cat

best to also just check the coolant sensor is correct and that its not stuck in cold start

and the AFM are notorious for needing cleaning - but thats often more a missfire kinda deal

unless you have something drastic like a leaking injector or similar maybe just chuck it on a dyno to check air flow rations

Thanks for the reply guys much appreciated, I did receive my consult cable today and had a quick look with Nissan data scanner.

It appears that I'm not getting a reading from, the O2 sensor!

Could that be the only problem or would you think that would be part of the problem?

Thanks

Edited by James Borg

The o2 voltage should cycle up-down-up-down continually between 0.1v to 1.0 volts. Unless cold, itl be stable till it warms up.

I have ran my 180 without a O2 sensor before and I didn't have any problem with backfiring or popping in the exhaust. Did about 1,000km before finally buying one and installing it. All I found was it became less economical. That was with similar mods to you at the time.

I have only ever had one issue with backfiring/popping when I installed a BOV and it started running super rich. Wasn't installed for long, got defected for it and lost interest in it and removed it. As soon as it was removed ran all good again.

I haven't checked the voltage on it, on Nissan data scan it appears its measured in percentage apparently it should be Oscillating between 10 and 90 when the engine is in closed loop mode. I'm getting no reading at all if I rev it up it still does nothing.

Check power (for atleast 12 volt) and earth wires for breaks/shorting. My s14 had the same issue with the o2 not cycling, it had a bad earth in the loom for it. I just ran the earth wire for the sensor to a bolt and it all stared working.

Like everyone is saying, when it wasnt working driveability was ok just used a bit more fuel.