Sign in to follow this  
ActionDan

Caster Arm/Tension Rods - Spherical or big rubber bush?

benefits of spherical joints over rubber far outweighs the cost difference in my opinion. what about SPL? I have a full set of their arms on an s15 and some on an r34 and they're great (very light, very durable, after sales support is good, bearings are good quality).

i wouldnt even consider ISC. I'd love to go on a rant about how shit their products are but im sure you can find this out for yourself. Have had their suspension arms and regretted it immediately after install.

I have ISC rear camber arms and they "seem" fine.

The car doesn't do a lot of K's each year.

I didn't really wanna pay $200 for caster arms.

I had KKR tie rod ends flog out (I mean, FLOG OUT) in something like 6000km of highway driving, and one of the toe arms had play in it from 10,000km.

versus URAS (or kazama? think its the same shit, different shade of green) USED castor rods that have been in my car for 30,000km+ and absolutely no play at all in them.

I've also had cheap castor rods which couldn't be adjusted shorter than stock. so yeah. Poor man pays twice.

I am interested in the harddrace rubber bushed arms, but I haven't seen any feedback of the quality that I want to base monetary decisions off.

I have the Hardrace rubber bushed caster arms. I recommend them on any daily or street car if only because they are going to last decently long in comparison to similarly/cheaper priced Spherical/rosejoint china shit. mine have been in there for 2+ years and are going strong. plenty of adjustability too - sitting around 7.5 caster.

Before these had JustJap caster arms with sphericals. They wore out in the space of 10 months to the point that the only thing holding the ball in the joint was the the fact that it couldnt move left or right far enough to fall out. no track days, no overly hard street driving.

How many km's you doing a year?

15k i would guess.

had them for at least 3-4 years.

Edited by Varvs

I actually have a ful set of the Hardrace arms Wizard, just haven't installed them yet. Quality is decent... I was impressed.

I'd be lucky to cover 1000km a year.

Track ks only.

The URAS castor rods I have are aluminium, and HUGE compared to all the china arms I've had. Ball joints are bigger, too. You couldn't put them side by side and get confused.

I've got a full set of hardrace spherical arms, but they were same sorta size as all the other china stuff I have. Coating was nicer, the brand new arms I have have a nice boot on them, the used ones have a bit of rust/stickiness about the sphericals, but don't seem rooted. They've been on a track car for a while, no idea on use tho. They do look less cheap than the other china stuff I've run in the past.

Pretty sure these are the same as what I'm running. http://www.rhdjapan.com/uras-pillow-ball-tension-rods-s13-15-a31-r32-34-c33-35.html

Probably cheaper through jesse streeter if they can be bought new. Still confident Kazama are the same, except red (I was wrong before) http://www.rhdjapan.com/kazama-auto-pillow-ball-tension-rods-nissan.html

I don't want to come off saying these are the best ever and will solve all your problems - but - I bought them thinking they would have to be replaced by now, and they're still fine. That, and I haven't had the problems that I've had with china arms (fast wear / lack of adjustment / shit finish leading in quick rust).

gktech are another budget option that'll work well until such a time as you upgrade or change car. I've got the billet castor and rear camber arms in a r34 and they hold up fine, 20k or more kms on them and they're still tight. Sphericals are cheaply replaceable unlike most China arms. The billet material is strong but soft, need to be careful with your tools when adjusting.

Got some mint cusco ones cheap with some R32 LCA's with RCAs pressed in and fresh bushes.