Sign in to follow this  
CRE_S14

Mickey Thompson Tyres

Who has used Mickey Thompson tyres here?

Can you please tell me:

*What type (ET street or ET street 2)

*Size

*Tyre pressure

*Where you can buy them (Syd preferred)

*Your comments and results :)

Any feedback at all guys? Surely someone has used them?

mickey thompson et street radials are what you want. You don't want the ET streets.

I've got the older ET street radials 255 50 16s from memory, they are great. Hook up f**king awesome with 450-500rwhp.

You can drive on the street with them, however I wouldn't recommend it. They are super soft and will perish quickly. I would only drive on them if you're going to and from the track.

With respect to tyre pressures, I would first start off on 18psi and do a mild burnout to put some heat into them. After the run measure the pressure as it's bound to go up a bit. Then adjust back down.

I found best results with mine were around the 16psi mark. Best 60 foot i've got was 1.6. I've had friends dip into the 1.5s and IIRC 1.4s. I personally like them and have had a good run with them.

With respect to launching technique I would not dump the clutch off the line. If you watch most high hp silvias they almost always leave the line by riding the clutch out of the hole.

Thank you turbostyleR, that is good feedback and info. Well done with the 60 foot times!

Do you find your car axle tramps much? I gather by riding the clutch this would be minimised

Have you found dialing up say 4000rpm on the line works well to counter the bog/grip off the line?

A lot of the guys coming out of this shop are running MT ET Streets as TurbostyleR highlighted. 255/50/16 on R32 GTR wheels seems to be the crowd fave so far. You won't axle tramp if you're not skidding and riding the clutch definitely seems to work better. (I'm yet to meet anyone who sidesteps in a RWD and hooks up well).

The car sometimes axle tramps and I've broken a diff because of it. But the best advice I can give is don't be a pussy on the burnout, get some heat into the tyres, especially if they are a bit older, as they'll be a bit harder.

The way I try to launch my car is by revving the motor between 4000-5000rpm. My theory is as I'm revving the motor up it gathers inertia and as it gathers this inertia I slip the clutch so that on the upswing I get a bit more torque. If that makes sense.

This is just my own theory, so it's probably a load of bullshit, but it seemed to work for me when I race at the track.

It also depends on your turbo setup and how laggy it is. I get full boost at around 5000rpm so it's fairly laggy, so I need to rev it a bit harder than say someone with a smaller turbo that comes on at like 4000rpm.

Thanks alot guys. You have saved me time and money trying to find out the hard way.

I believe falcon rims can also be used

I was thinking about going the falcon rims when I got mine many years ago, but I would personally go against that due to weight as well as the back spacing/offset.

Have a look at either r32 gtr rims, or z32 300zx stock rims, or even the stock s14/s15 rims.

I reckon the 255 60 16s are the way to go, as you got a nice sidewall and even width to gain good traction.

Best of luck!

I still have my stock s14 rims, but from memory they are only 6.5 inches wide. Might be a bit shy for 255 tyres as i think the recommended size range is 7-9 inch wide wheels

cheers! :thumbsup:

R32GTR rims all the way. Otherwise you can get cheap 8 inch 16s from classifieds section of most automotive forums. They're a common size.