Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Half Shafts! *snap* - Hardtuned.net

Half Shafts! *snap* 

39 replies to this topic

#1 DriftSquid

• Car:SONVIA

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

ok....

broke my first half shaft in the 1via yesterday :( not sure if its a common place but it was a super clean snap just before the spline near the outer end.. will put pics up tonight

now ive been running my car witha S14 rear subframe etc.. and i have the 6 bolt style half shafts. are these S14 ones? as i got spare half shafts but they are from a S13.

my old 180 has the 5 bolt half shafts so im guessing the 5 bolt ones are s13 correct??

just wanted to ask what half shafts are what?? and whats the strongest 6 bolt half shaft you can get?? if you can??

any input would be great

Cheers
Jake

oh and i wasnt even drifting when i broke the half shaft... was putting the car in the shed <_<

#2 reapr

• Car:180SX / F6

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

im surprised it took this long for you to snap a half shaft as I was snapping them pretty quickly with a relatively similar setup (rb26+s14)

the only half shafts that are thicker are gtr ones

s14 are the same size as r33

#3 DriftSquid

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

yeah i was shocked when it did :lol: and i think the biggest half shaft killa is people not releasing the handbrake when they go to put the power back on when drifting... thats what i think anyway!!

so S13, S14, R33 all the same?? just diferent styles? 5 bolt and 6 bolt etc..

#4 Softy

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

S13 have both 5 and 6 bolt shafts... unsure if s14/15 have both kinds also.

#5 .JD

• Car:not tellin

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

the 6 bolt shafts are weaker if they are the 6 bolts in 3 places
if they are the 6 bolts spread out evenly then they are gtr
the 5 bolt ones are skyline and late model silvia

just get gtr ones they are thick as f**k and strong as hell
but you will need to change hubs and diff

otherwise go 5 stud as they are stonger then the factory s13 6 bolt
and the half shafts and driveshafts are the same size

#6 benson93

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

Still got a set in the shed for sale if any of these ones suit.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 DriftSquid

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

nah didnt break that part dude.. broke it at the other end near the hub.. Cheers anyway dude

and cheers JDM032, ive got the 6 bolt one with the 2 in 3 places style :( if i snap another one ill just have to save up and change to GTR rear end :)

#8 .JD

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

seriously just get some 5 bolt drive shafts and shoot me a pm coz i got spare 5 bolt half shafts
so much stronger then the 6 bolt stuff, especially for the power u got

otherwise yeh, gtr rear it

either way both are gonna be better then wat u got now, plus u need it for winton dont ya?

#9 GODZILLA

• Car:JET200

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

Everyone knows I'm an expert at this problem after breaking two at the same time on national TV.

I broke more after the show too.

You have three solutions.

1. Change to 5-bolt shafts. They are only marginally stronger but still slightly stronger.

2. Buy billet driveshafts or custom driveshafts from the drive shaft shop. I jsut got some from the US but they cost around $1200AUD plus delivery. I havn't used them yet but from looking at them and based on being rated for 850hp they should be fine. They aren't cheap but at least you dont have to buy new diff, centre etc to suit GTR. The ones I have use Porsche competition CVs with thicker shaft ( GTR size) and seem to be pretty awesome.

3. GTR rear end. Need GTR diff, new GTR diff centre, GTR driveshafts. Bolts in but must change spline in the knuckle to suit. Virtually un-breakable but they are second hand so depends what they've been through. Pain in the arse as have to chagne a lot.

I went for driveshaft shop as I already have 4.3 diff with Nismo centre and Trust cover extension so easier jsut to get replacement shafts.

I'll post up pics soon.

#10 .JD

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

keen on seeing your billet shafts godzilla

#11 DriftSquid

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

hmmm seems like a fair enough idea with the billet shafts but seeing as though its taking me almost 1 year to break a half shaft with 320rwkw i think i can deal with that fro now haha...

and yeah ill chuck in 2 more half shafts this week before winton.. ive got 5 bolt half shafts sitting here also but dont have the things that go into the diff lol..

should be right :) im still shocked at how clean the snap is... it look like its suppose to be like it :S

#12 .JD

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

sent ya a pm squid

#13 Simon-S14

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

howd u break it??

#14 DriftSquid

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

a very wak way thats for sure... dropped the clutch with the hdanbrake still on. stalled!!! started it up and took off with 1 wheel spinnin... :S so i done a test skid/burnout and yeah... it was 1 wheelin haha...

must have been on the way out coz i couldnt see how that was too much force??? but the snap in the half shaft was so clean... it doesnt look right thats for sure :(

lucky it happened in my shed instead of winton this weekend :)

#15 Simon-S14

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

right...i got ya... sat night drunken shed skids nuff said :P

i would just chuck that spare set allan gave ya mate and arrange another spare set to take to winton.... upgrade later imo

#16 .JD

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

ahhh drunken skids hey lol says alot hahaha

#17 GODZILLA

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:12 AM

I broke one set on a launch
broke another one pulling second
broke another one clutch kicking 2nd

I have a very aggressive clutch though.

5-bolt are stronger but only marginally. CTS car used 5-bolt for a whole season but changed them every event to be on the safe side. then they went GTR rear end and never touched them.

5-bolt is only a very small upgrade but if you have 320rwkW there is a good chance youll break them too.

it really comes down to how you drive and how much time and money you want to spend on changing them

#18 DRF13

• Car:NSU Ro80

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

View PostTwisted_SIL80, on Jul 12 2009, 11:32 AM, said:

its taking me almost 1 year to break a half shaft with 320rwkw i think i can deal with that fro now haha...
its more to do with savage clutches and jarring than KWage, thanx fot the mention too btw :P

When I got JV's old S14 [but fitted with 5 bolt] I broke the only half shafts I've ever broken at Parklands
running with the super savage HKS clutch it had in it, it made a loud noise
so I did exactly what you did [and any normal drifter would do]
and skid tested it :lol:

and broke the other side as well... :o
After fitting the softer Nismo Coppermix clutch I've not broken one since

I've often wondered what makes the 5 bolt stronger than 6 as the shaft size seems the same and its not the bolt holes it breaks through.
I've also wondered why in early S13's [most CA18's] 6 bolt were fitted, then they went to 5 bolt, then towards and including S14/15
they went back to 6 bolt......

Maybe just purely cost cutting? :huh: nfi

#19 GODZILLA

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

your right fro

my clutch is one of those NPC twin un-sprung 5-puck clutches

very savage.

Im gonna try a Nismo clutch in my 14 next ( have single in my 13 and its 110% awesome)

I hope the Coppermix twin plate can handle the power though. 400rwkW on E85 is adequate for time attack

#20 DRF13

• Car:NSU Ro80

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

View PostGODZILLA, on Jul 13 2009, 02:00 AM, said:

Im gonna try a Nismo clutch in my 14 next ( have single in my 13 and its 110% awesome)
should do the trick, failing that you know a bloke who does OS Giken :P

#21 DriftSquid

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

yeah im only using a extreme heavy duty thingo.. single plate that slips very easy... cant do stand stills as the clucth will just slip etc... thats why i started doing the whole 360 burnout thingo haha... no brake skidz FTW

anyway im sure as all hell i would have broken heaps if i had a strong clutch.. kinda happy i dont :)

new half shafts are going in tonight.. just some random 180 6 bolt ones.. if anyone in adelaide has anymore lying around let me know and ill buy them ;)

Cheers for the words everyone :D

#22 DriftSquid

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

here are some pics of the half shaft :(

also im sure that water has got into it also as the sh*t looks nothing like grease :lol:

Attached Image: 11072009634.jpg

Attached Image: 11072009635.jpg

Attached Image: 11072009636.jpg

Attached Image: 11072009637.jpg

Attached Image: 11072009638.jpg

nothing like a 1 wheel skid :lol:

Attached Image: 11072009633.jpg

#23 qikpls

• Car:Galant 13bt /180sx

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

you should sell it now and get a vn and just do sick skids at home bro!!
CRAZY :P

#24 GODZILLA

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

Driveshaft shop driveshafts from USA

CV is mental, stuff all play. rated to 850hp

sorry about crappy phone pic

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Image060.jpg
  • Attached Image: Image061.jpg

#25 DriftSquid

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

so how much all up to ya door???

also im putting 5 bolt halfy's in tonight fingers crossed i get the stub axle thingos ;)

#26 AX-onevia

• Car:Onevia

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

I snapped both sides at the same time in my old onevia, brand new tyres, new twin plate, 300kw. Went bang!

I've got a set of GTR rear half shafts and GTR rear hubs here to go in my new car but I've got more coming if you want to upgrade Jake! Just need the output shafts from a GTR diff I'm pretty sure.

#27 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

wow, you realise you don't need to pull the whole hub assembly apart to get the shaft out right?

#28 Summo

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

Also snapped the left 5 bolt halfshaft whilst push starting. Went around the track twice with a constant thump in the rear, couldn't figure out what it was until i noticed i couldn't get sideways and smoke was only coming out on the right side...

Posted Image

#29 deciple6

• Car:89 240

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

where can i find a half shaft for my 89? ive got r32 rear axles, i snapped a half shaft tonight, just driving down the f'in road..

#30 Simon-S14

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

View Postblingcommander, on Jul 14 2009, 01:52 PM, said:

wow, you realise you don't need to pull the whole hub assembly apart to get the shaft out right?
lol i was gonna say that but you beat me to it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!