Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
S14 ignition barrel replacement. - Hardtuned.net

S14 ignition barrel replacement. 

3 replies to this topic

#1 Mort

• Car:74 LH SL/R Torana

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

I have a dilemma, i need to replace the ignition barrel in my son's Silvia because he is having trouble starting it ( i have already changed the starter motor).

I have found a replacement but have been told because he has an Aussie Silvia he has to get the barrel/key and ecu together because they are matched and won't start otherwise.

I have talked to a few wreckers and non of them have mentioned getting the ecu as well hence my confusion.

Can anyone confirm the barrel/key/ecu as he doesn't want to spend any more than he needs to at the moment as funds are very limited, but if he has to get the lot so be it.

Mort.

#2 pur40m

• Car:180sx

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Only aus s15 has the nats immobiliser built in so no need for s14
Just need the barrel and key and new shear bolts from nissan

#3 Mort

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for that, glad he doesn't have to spend dollars he doesn't have.

Another question about the ignition barrel, i was told the JDM is different to the ADM by way of the plug, JDM being bigger and maybe an extra wire, could you shed some light on that one.

#4 Mort

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

Well it turns out i didn't need to buy an ign barrel after all.

Today i thought i would have another look at the boys ign problem, i had an idea that the problem could be with the wiring and or plug,
if you saw the mess someone calls wiring behind the dash you would understand my concern with it (looks like R2D2 threw up), anyway i pushed
the wires up as would happen when you fit the panel under the steering column and no start, pulled them down and it starts, so i unscrewed the ign switch
off the back of the barrel, turned it with a screw driver and it started, replaced the switch and tightened the screws and so far so good, car starts every time.

I am glad i got it sorted without having to buy a barrel as they can get very expensive and hard to find especially an ADM one, if anyone is needing a
barrel don't buy one from Nissan, i rang the dealer in Mackay out of curiosity and had a mild coronary, they wanted $624.50 for the ign barrel on it's own.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!