Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Anyone blown a gearbox with NPC 10" Organic clutch? - Hardtuned.net

Anyone blown a gearbox with NPC 10" Organic clutch? 

4 replies to this topic

#1 RyanSD180SX

• Car:94 180SX Type X

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

About a year ago I put in an NPC 10" Organic clutch and lightweight flywheel rated to 300rwkw because of the great reviews and there would be much less stress on the gearbox compared to a cushion button, puk or twin plate clutch.

Now that I'm switching to E85 soon, will probably make around 270-275rwkw and hoping for 11's at the drags I'm wondering what the chances are of blowing a gear on the drag strip. I'm using an S13 5 Speed box and I see they like to break around the 250rwkw mark but usually with clutches other than organics so I'm hoping it holds up. I never drift or clutch kick, drag racing will be the most abuse it sees.

I'd like to know if anyone has blown a gear using this particular clutch as I've read most nearing 300rwkw on the factory box are doing it with this clutch.

Down the road I was considering Z32 or Z33 gearbox at some point, but still undecided which is stronger. Although the Z33 gears are larger, there are many mixed reviews online as to the reliability of the Z33.

#2 Skidder

• Car:RB20 S13

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Depends on your diff. Z32 is a 5 speed, Z33 is a 6 speed so my thoughts are to go for a Z32 box.

Z33 would be good if you had a 6 speed. If you do decide on a Z33 anyway, get a CD009. The first gen Z33 were piss weak.

#3 Tom Tucker

• Car:S15

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

I had ~350kw with the NPC organic. Not only did it never slip, I never broke the standard box. Best. Clutch. Ever.

#4 RyanSD180SX

• Car:94 180SX Type X

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostTom Tucker, on 11 January 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

I had ~350kw with the NPC organic. Not only did it never slip, I never broke the standard box. Best. Clutch. Ever.

That's very impressive, and even better if it was in an S15 since the 6 speed is weaker than the 5 speed.
Did the car see much drifting or drag racing? To get an idea of what sort of abuse it saw. And how long was it running on that power?

#5 Tom Tucker

• Car:S15

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

Yep S15. It was just a street car for me. Had it for about a year on that power before I sold it. I was pretty careful though, never loaded 4th gear up, since it's usually the one that breaks. I also had shitty Federal 595s on the back, 245 wide, which were prone to serious wheelspin, and no doubt helped my driveline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!